CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Painful coughs left Ragnar's throat as he was laying in his large bed

Painful coughs left Ragnar's throat as he was laying in his large bed. His hand was placed over his abdomen, pearls of sweat was covering his forehead, eyes dull and half shut as they ran through the door. His lips was dry, chapped as his skin was paler than usual. Björn ran to his father's side and Ubbe looked up from Vál's shoulder only to hide his face again in her neck as he saw his fathers bad state. Worry filled Vál's eyes as he saw how ill Ragnar was. Of course she had seen him gripping his stomach painfully over the weeks she had been here and whenever their eyes had met he only had shaken his head; not wanting to worry her nor anyone. Vál placed Ubbe on the ground and looked him in the eyes, his usual bright blue eyes were now dull and bloodshot.

"Ubbe, where are your brothers?" She asked softly as she had placed her hand on his shoulder. Ubbe sucked in a shaky breath as he rubbed his eyes, smearing the tears.

"They are alone in the great hall. We were eating alone since mother is visiting the seer and I was about to get father for lunch and found h-him..." Ubbe mumbled quietly and she nodded. More tears welled up in his eyes and Vál could feel her heard ache.

"Ubbe can you be a strong man for me and help your brothers as I take a look at your father?" Vál asked and looked at the broken boy. Ubbe nodded softly and she smiled.

"Can you help him Vál?" Ubbe asked as there was little hope in his voice as he looked her deep in the eyes.

"I will try Ubbe, but run to your brothers and I will do my best to help your father." Vál said, still speaking softly to him. Ubbe gave her a small smile as he nodded before running towards the door. Vál took a deep breath before walking over to Ragnar and Björn. Björn sat beside his father with his hand gripping Ragnar's. Vál placed a hand on Björn's shoulder as she looked at the sick man.

"Ragnar does it hurt anywhere?" Vál asked as she walked closer. Ragnar smiled a little as he turned his head to look at the young woman. She kept a strong face as she didn't want to cause unwanted panic or worry. She wasn't a healer of any sort but living alone in the mountains had required knowledge about the healing powers. However she had never stumbled upon something that seemed close to Ragnar's condition.

"Should I get Helga?" Björn asked but Vál ignored him and focused on Ragnar. The old man closed his eyes involuntarily as his eyes rolled to the back of his head only to be opened a few seconds later. Björn moved slightly as she bent over to place her hand on Ragnar's forehead. He was burning.

"How long have you felt like this? Björn?" Vál asked and she thought of the various of things that would take his fever down. Ragnar coughed again, however this time he painfully turned to the side, blood leaving his mouth to stain the sheets as he coughed. Björn's eyes filled with worry as he looked up at Vál who was deep in thought.

"His stomach had been bad since we raided Paris last time but that was a long time ago. He's never been this bad." Björn said and he quickly stood up, getting ready to get Helga and his mother. Björn didn't trust Vál in this matter, she was a fighter and not a healer. Her knowledge about his fathers condition was probably something someone with more experience had to fix. Vál looked at Björn.