CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

Harald and Halfdan laughed and she spit in the water as she rolled her eyes

Harald and Halfdan laughed and she spit in the water as she rolled her eyes. She sucked in a deep breath, the nauseous feeling fading slightly which she was grateful for. She remembered that she had some rose root left in her cabin and made a mental note to take some later. She glared at the brothers who watched her intensely.

"I don't think a woman has ever said that to me before." Halfdan said with a laugh.

"There's always a first. Why am I blessed with your company?" Vál spat as she raised her brow.

"Are you ill?" Harald asked and she rolled her eyes.

"Never." She said and Halfdan raised his brow. "Your men just disgusts me." She filled in and Harald chuckled.

"I apologize if my men has been acting disrespectfully towards you." Harald said and Vál rolled her eyes which made him raise his brow. Vál couldn't understand why Harald said all the excuses, for her it only counted when the responsible said the apology, not when the person sent someone who has zero involvement in the matter. Vál took a step forward, wanting to leave but they blocked her passage which caused her to frown.

"You want something?" Vál asked, harshly. They moved out of her way and she walked away with a snort. She didn't like the feeling of her emotions not being under control, she wasn't used to feel such strong emotions. It disturbed her from focusing on things that mattered, her fight. She wanted nothing more than to prove the people who claimed to be better that she was indestructible. Bulletproof.

"Vál, can I please talk to you?" Björn asked her as their paths crossed.

"Can it wait? I need to rest for a while." She asked, nicely for once but his calm and kind tone surprised her. Especially after his rough way of asking her earlier. Björn let out a sigh and nodded. She smiled kindly at him before walking inside their cabin, she walked over to the bed after throwing away her jacket on the floor. A sigh left her lips when she laid down, her used muscles relaxing. She closed her eyes and quicker than ever she drifted off into a deep slumber.

The same night after her slumber she had walked over to Vidar and his men who still sat by the fire however this time Harald and Halfdan was standing with them, talking. She could feel the rather tense yet relaxed tension in the air as she reach the men. Vidar raised his brows and smiled at her, giving her the attention form the others as well.

"Can't stay away can you?" Vidar said teasingly. "I thought you would be preparing for our fight." He continued after motioned for her to join them. She sat down on the ground next to Ulvar, his blond hair pushed back into a ponytail and his beard was styled the same as well. Ulvar handed her a cup of mead which Ragnar had provided them for their stay. Harald cleared his throat and Vidar looked at him.

"As I was saying, I've noticed the way your men has taken interest in some of my shield maidens." Harald began and looked at Guthred. "As an apology for sending men after you I'm offering you some of them now for your stay." He continued and Vál got a disgusted look on her face. She loathed the way they spoke about women like they were materialistic beings. Guthreds face lit up like he had seen the all father himself, licking his lips in the process. Vidar only rolled his eyes at the immature behavior from his brother. Vidar looked at Harald and forced a smile.