CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

After countless of hours of having Björn, Aslaug, Vál and Lagertha by Ragnar's side the sun slowly started to rise again

After countless of hours of having Björn, Aslaug, Vál and Lagertha by Ragnar's side the sun slowly started to rise again. Ragnar was asleep and only Vál was sitting by his side. She had felt responsible for his health since she had cured him, even if Helga agreed to give Ragnar both yarrow and sage.

Before the darkest hours Lagertha had told Aslaug that she needed to rest and said she could join her sons that Vál and Björn allowed to sleep in their cabin so Ragnar could be alone. The older woman had later told Björn that he needed to rest as well and that she and Vál had everything under control. Vál's heart had been aching when she had seen Lagertha's pained and tired expression, she told her to sleep as well and Vál would wake her as soon something happened. With some difficulty the older woman had agreed, finding comfort in that her cabin wasn't to far away.

Vál had been staring at Ragnar's chest, how it slowly rised and sunk as he breathed. He was still coughing but there wasn't blood leaving any more, only mucus. She had sucked in a shaky breath whenever he inhaled and it took a few seconds before he exhaled but he never stopped breathing. Her eyes had grown heavy, the warmth in the cabin contributed to her tired eyes. She hadn't been awake this long since she once thought it was a good idea to try night hunting years ago in the mountains. She wasn't hunting animals that night, she had been following a few intruders and made the decision to follow them even when the sky turned dark.

Ragnar had made it through the night to everyones delight. Now he was on his feet, walking the streets of Kattegat as they prepared to set sail. Vál sat on the porch outside the great hall watching as Ubbe and Hvitserk were playfully sparring each other as Sigurd was playing with that small girl again. Vál squinted her eyes as she looked at the young girl again, trying to figure who she resembled. She seemed just as shy as Sigurd was when Vál first met him. Her heart ached when she saw the happy smile on her face when she played with Sigurd. Her clothes were even more dirty as Vál could see her pale skin. Her thoughts where interrupted by the sound of someone walking behind her, a sigh left her lips when she saw Aslaug leaving the great hall.

"Aslaug." Vál said before looking back at the children playing.

"Vál." Aslaug said before letting out a sigh. Aslaug walked over to the chair outside to rest her tired feet and soon started to caress her large bump. "I know we're not friends but I haven't thanked you for taking care of my husband. I'm deeply thankful for that." Her words made Vál turn to look at her. Both her brows raised before she gave Aslaug a smile.

"No problem." Vál said before looking back at the children. Vál bit her bottom lip before turning to Aslaug again. "Do you know who Sigurd is playing with?"

"No, sadly I do not." Aslaug said as she looked at the young familiar girl who played with her son. "But I feel bad for her, it seems like her parents are neglecting her." She continued and Vál nodded.

"Can't you do something? I mean you're the Queen." Vál asked and saw how the young girl fell to the ground before quickly getting up. Her clothing only getting even dirtier.