Social Menace {4}

I checked my appearance in the mirror and fixed my hair. It was Saturday, and I had to head out soon so I wouldn't be late meeting the others at the bake sale.

                Tyson had emailed me the schedule and what I'd be doing. It seemed like I'd be spending most of the day working the raffle booth with Farren. I'd just have to be friendly and try to convince people to buy raffle tickets. That didn't seem too hard.

                I winced as I accidentally hit a bruise on my arm. I hadn't been able to avoid Drew all week, and yesterday at lunch, he'd grabbed me too roughly.

                Oh, god, I hoped he wasn't at the bake sale. The last thing I needed was for him to kick my ass in front of everyone there.

                Checking the time, I pulled my shoes on and left the house. Brian was already gone, off to get coffee with a friend before work. I got in my car, putting the destination in my GPS and heading for the venue the bake sale was at.

                Since we were here early to set up, there was no struggle finding a parking spot. I got out of my car and went into the venue. I was surprised that the bake sale was inside, but apparently, they were also having a few small, local business hold tables and had been worried about the weather.

                I followed the hallway down to a fairly large room. Plain tables were being set up around the room.

                "Hey, the outcast is here!"

                Talon's voice came from above me. I looked up, my eyes widening a little. He and Nyssa were up on high ladders, hanging a banner from the ceiling. Neither seemed concerned by the distance between them and the ground.

                "Hi. High. Hi, you're high up," I said.

                "Word play, I like it. Someone had to risk their life to hang this banner," Talon said.

                "Shut up and finish tying it, Talon," Nyssa said, giving the banner an impatient shake.

                "Hey, you're here. Come with me; we'll get the raffle table set up," Farren said, coming up to me. "Ty! Ty, Nolan is here."

                "Noted," a muffled voice called from behind a door.

                Farren led me back out in the hallway, where a table was set up with a box next to it. Farren took out a sign that announced the raffle and the prices, handing it to me with some tape.

                "Get that centered," he said, digging through the box. "I'll do most of the talking. But if I'm not at the table for some reason, it's up to you to pester every person heading inside to buy a raffle ticket. The prize is an iPad and a gift basket, with second and third place also being gift baskets of varying worth."

                I taped up the sign as Farren began setting up the table. He slung a cloth over it, setting up a lockbox for the money along with the raffle tickets. He unlocked the lockbox and tucked the key into his pocket. He handed me a volunteer nametag sticker with my name on it, which I stuck to my shirt.

                "Go grab us chairs out of the main room. Just take the first two chairs you see in there," he said.

                I went back into the main room, grabbing two of the folding chairs leaned against the wall. I unfolded them and set them at the table, and Farren nodded in approval.