Social Menace {27} END

"Come on, hurry up before we're late," Uncle Brian said.

                "I'm sorry! I got distracted singing in the shower again," I said, hurrying into his car. "Thanks for driving, Uncle Brian."

                "Yea, well, it's your fault we're late," he said, backing out of the driveway. "Do you have your stuff packed? You leave tomorrow."

                "Tyson came over yesterday to help me pack after rehearsal," I said. "I washed the sheets and pillowcase and put them back in the closet."

                "Good. I don't use that guest room often," he said.

                "Thank you for letting me stay here so I could go to Braxton," I said gratefully. "Really, thank you, Uncle Brian. I needed this schoolyear. It helped me a lot."

                "You clean up after yourself. It wasn't that big of a deal," he said, but I could tell the compliment made him a little uncomfortable. Even after all my time here, I hadn't grown much closer to my Uncle. But at least he'd let me stay here, and he'd made sure I was okay while I was under his care. I couldn't ask for anything more than that.

                I watched the town blur by as we drove. It was a nice day, almost a little too nice. I'd definitely be way too hot in my dark gown.

                The parking lot was a zoo, but Uncle Brian was used to navigating the busy hospital parking lot. He managed to find us a spot without hitting anyone or getting in an accident.

                "Go on," he said, shutting the car off. "If you're any later, it'll start without you."

                "See you after!" I said, getting out of the car and hurry around to the little building on the other side of the stadium.

                "Hey, Nolan actually showed up. We were placing bets on if you would or not," Talon said as I found my friends.

                "I was betting on no," Tyson said, offering a half-eaten donut. "You won't have time to fight your way through the crowd for one. It's just me who was eating it."

                "I missed breakfast because I was in a rush," I said, taking it from him and eating the rest. "I didn't mean to be running so late."

                "Students! Get in your lines. The ceremony is about to start," Principal Devin called.

                "Here we go. Try not to trip. Especially you, klutz," Tyson said to Connor.

                "I'm surprised you didn't sneak the rat in," Talon said

                "My mom has him in her bag," Connor said. "He didn't want to miss this."

                "Oh my god," Nyssa said, shaking her head. "Come on, Tal. Let's go line up."

                "Lead the way, Nys," Talon said, following his sister away.

                "Lucky me, my last name puts me next to Lisa Corst," Farren grumbled. "Wish me luck. I bet you anything she trips me on the way up."

                "You'll be fine," Tyson said. He turned to me. "Well, what are you waiting for? Go on. Get in line."

                "I'll find you after," I promised, heading off to get in my place in the lines.

                We were led out to our seats, facing the stands. A fairly massive crowd of people clapped from the stands as our graduating class was introduced by Principal Devin.