Social Menace {11}

I was groggy the next morning when Tyson's alarm woke us up. Tyson and I took turns showering and got dressed in our Braxton uniforms. We went downstairs, where his parents were moving around the kitchen.

                "Here, I made you and your friend lunches," Mrs. Strazio said, holding brown paper bags out to us.

                "Oh, you didn't have to do that," I said in surprise.

                "What, and let you go hungry? Here, I hope you like it," she said, pushing the lunch into my hands.

                "Thank you very much," I said gratefully. I'd just planned on buying lunch today.

                "Thanks, mom," Tyson said, tossing his lunch into his bag. "I have a Social Action meeting afterschool. And I might run to get tea with Farren after that."

                "Text me and let me know where you are after your meeting." Mrs. Strazio hugged him and kissed his head. "Have a good day at school. I love you."

                "Yea, yea. Love you too. Bye guys," Tyson said.

                "Bye, Ty!" Mr. Strazio called. "You boys have a good day at school!"

                "Thank you for letting my stay here," I said, waving to them as I followed Tyson out the front door.

                "No need to suck up to my parents," Tyson said, unlocking his car. "Not a word about what happened last night, either. You don't breathe a word of our activities outside of Social Action meetings."

                "I'm not stupid," I said.

                "Debatable. Let's go before we're late." He got in his car and shut the door.

                I got in my car and the two of us drove off to school. I was surprised that Tyson was actually walking the path to the school with me once we got out of our cars.

                "Your parents are nice," I said.

                "Would you expect anything less once you met me?" he said, and rolled his eyes when I laughed at that. "I see Farren. We're done here. Don't be late to the meeting afterschool."

                He took off, hitting Farren's shoulder as he approached. The two took off for their lockers, talking as they went.

                Kids were whispering to each other as I went to my locker. Even the usual bullies seemed reluctant to go after their targets, meaning news of what we'd done to Marcus must've gotten out already.

                I went off to class, trying to pick up whispers as I sat at my desk. From what I could tell, people knew there'd been a new target, but no one was quite sure who it was.

                I wasn't even surprised when the principal's voice came over the speakers. "Students, we'll be having an assembly this morning. Follow your teachers to the auditorium."

                So just like last time, we followed our teachers out of our classrooms and down to the auditorium. I looked around and spotted Tyson and Farren sitting together. They both looked unbothered by the assembly, talking casually with each other. I looked around but couldn't spot the twins or Connor in the crowd. Too many students were still moving around, and it was fairly dark in the auditorium.