Social Menace {25}

"Carly said they're going to the fire station tomorrow night to meet with the firefighters. They're having dinner with them and going over plans for the project," Bishopp said.

                We were sitting in the Social Action room, everyone on edge. We didn't know how long we had before Mallory told the police.

                "Did you make yourself obvious, Bishopp?" Tyson said.

                Bishopp shook his head. "No. I asked her about the project, pretended to be interested in it, and didn't linger on any question. I changed the subject to the fundraiser they did for cancer research two years ago," Bishopp said. "I made the whole thing sound like vague curiosity and praise."

                "So tomorrow we have to strike," Tyson said. "We don't know how long they'll be gone. We don't even know when they're leaving."

                "I thought that part out," I said. "You and I can claim we're going out on a date. Then your parents won't get suspicious. I doubt my Uncle will even be home, but it'll be my cover story if he is. We can watch the house for when they leave."

                "How romantic," Talon said, wincing when Nyssa kicked him.

                "It'll take us time to get there," Nyssa reminded. "And you can't move until we're there. You need the two of us to get you in, and you need Connor to make sure you're not getting caught on any video feeds."

                "I can't hijack the feed like I did at Alex's house. If Mallory can watch it from his phone, I'm sure he'll have an eye on it periodically. If he can't access, he'll know something's wrong and it'll blow the whole mission," Connor said.

                "So we have to avoid any security cameras?" I asked.

                Connor shook his head. "I might be able to play a loop feed. That's a big 'might', though. If Mallory can move the camera, he'll know it's on a loop. I'll only set it long enough to get you guys through any areas under surveillance."

                "This is risky," Farren said. "We have no idea how secure his house is. He could have video everywhere. He could come home at any time."

                "Then don't come," Tyson said. "No one is forcing any of you to do this. I'm doing it with or without you, though. If you're scared, don't bother. I don't need cowards."

                "You need a fucking brain," Farren said impatiently.

                "What do you want me to do, Farren? Sit here and wait for him to go to the police so we all have our lives ruined?" Tyson demanded. "I'm telling you that you can stay out of it and protect yourself."

                "And who's protecting you?" Farren said.

                "Not you, that's for sure," Tyson said.

                "Stop it," I said sternly. "This isn't going to work if we start fighting each other. We need to cooperate. So if you're going to pick a fight, don't join us. I know everyone is scared and on edge about this whole situation. But if we don't do it, Mallory wins for sure. This is our only chance. Unless someone managed to come up with another idea, this is all we've got. We're out of time."

                Farren reluctantly backed off of Tyson and switched his attention to me. "Do we have a backup plan?"

                "No," Tyson said.

                "We've got to put our energy into this plan. We won't have time for a backup," I said. "Listen, Mallory is probably security crazy, but I doubt he'd put cameras in his kids' rooms or any bathrooms. So we if we have to move quickly for Connor to loop the feed, we can hide in those rooms for a little."