Social Menace {6}

I nibbled on toast Wednesday morning. Brian was moving around the kitchen, trying to make himself breakfast and coffee.

                "Look I'm- oh, shit, I spilled again- I'm going to be home late tonight. Dinner's on you. I'll pick up a pizza for Friday so you can eat that and save a few slices for Saturday. I'll probably grocery shop this weekend, so just write down whatever you need." He poured coffee into a travel mug, trying to hurriedly eat his breakfast.

                "Okay. I can do the shopping if you want," I offered.

                "Nah, I got it. I should be out that way this weekend," he said.

                He disappeared out of the kitchen and I heard the front door open and shut a few moments later. I finished my toast and got up, cleaning up Brian's mess as well as my own.

                I wanted to be helpful anyway I could while I was living with him. I knew I was lucky he'd even agreed to take me in while I attended Braxton. If he hadn't taken me in, I might not have been able to go to the school at all.

                And I needed to be at Braxton. Not necessarily because of the education, though it would certainly help me get into a good college.

                No, I needed to be in Braxton to get away from my old town. I needed to be away from my family and my friends and every horrible thing I associated with that place. There were too many reminders of things that were better left forgotten.

                I shook my head a little. Way too early in the morning to be getting so deep.

                I grabbed my bag when I was done cleaning and left the house. I drove myself down to the school, heading inside and grabbing what I needed from my locker.

                As I started heading towards first period, I noticed Drew and quickly ducked behind a small group of students. Drew and his friends passed by without noticing me, but they seemed to be in a serious conversation.

                That's what tipped me off that something was going on. As I walked to first period, I realized there was a tense air around the school, kids whispering to each other and the usual bullies leaving their targets alone for once. Teachers roamed the hallways with a watchful eye.

                Tyson's words came back to me and my eyes widened a little. He'd had a hunch that this revenge group was going to strike soon. Had they...?

                I took my seat in first period. Kids were whispering to each other, some excited and some with nervous expressions. Our teacher entered at the start of the period, clapping her hands together to get out attention.

                "Everyone, settle down," she commanded.

                The announcement system crackled to life overhead. "Students, your teachers will bring you down to the auditorium for an assembly. Please follow your teachers in orderly fashion and keep silent. We'd like to make this assembly as quick as possible so you can get back to your classes."

                Our teacher waited until the announcement ended before gesturing at as to line up. We did so, following her out into the hallway. Students were in lines, silent and curious.

                When we reached the auditorium, we were seated. Teachers were hushing any kids that tried to talk, and the principal was up on the stage. He watched as students filed in, occasionally mumbling something to the other faculty members on the stage with him. There were two policemen up there as well, which only raised my suspicions that this had to do with the revenge service.