Social Menace {26}

I walked into school the next morning feeling on edge. Mallory might finally come after us today, and we'd played our last move. We were screwed if we hadn't scared him off.

                Tyson and I had spent most of the night together. When it got too late, I'd finally gone home to try and get some rest before we had to face this day.

                I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned, expecting to face Tyson. Instead, I was roughly shoved against the lockers by Drew.

                "One of your bitch-ass friends going to come tell me off?" he asked, hitting me against the lockers again.

                I met his eyes, thinking of Dylan, thinking of what Tyson had told Bishopp yesterday. A new way to fight back.

                "No, I'm going to tell you off," I said, pushing myself away from the lockers. "Hitting me won't raise your grades. Hitting me won't make you feel better. You're a pathetic person if you have to belittle someone to make yourself feel big. Bullying won't get you anywhere in life. So keep pushing me into lockers all you want. I'm going to keep working hard and improving myself. You can't blame others for your shortcomings forever."

                I shouldered past him, leaving him awestruck behind me as I went down to my locker. Staying silent wasn't going to fix the problem. I had a voice, and it was about time I used it.

                I could still be nice and try not to judge people. But I also had to speak up when people were doing something wrong. It was a balance I was still struggling to find, but I would work on it.

                Putting in my combination and pulling my locker open, I knelt down to exchange my books. Two sets of feet entered my peripheral vision and I stood up, facing Tyson and Farren.

                "Done fighting?" I guessed.

                "He wouldn't be the worst cellmate to have, I guess," Farren said.

                "I'd be a fantastic cellmate. I wouldn't even shank you with a makeshift weapon," Tyson said.

                "No one's getting arrested just yet," I said, shutting my locker and following them down the hallway.

                "Yea, give it two hours," Tyson said. "I'll have three dads lined up to kill me. Vinny, Mallory, and Corr."

                Farren let out a too high-pitched laugh. "If my dad has to arrest me, he's going to tighten to cuffs so much my wrists will snap in half."

                "Corr's beloved son living a life of crime," Tyson said. "Your conning would've gotten you caught eventually."

                "I'm a smart business man," Farren said. "You're the one who dragged me into this kind of illegal shit."

                Tyson gave that dazzling smile of his. "I would never."

                "You're Nolan's problem now," Farren said, shaking his head.

                "Where are the others?" I asked.

                "Connor's probably hugging his dog to death in a corner somewhere in terror, and the twins usually don't run into me until class," Tyson said.

                "When do you think he'll make his move?" I asked.

                "Some point during the school day. If I get taken out in handcuffs, he'll want the whole school to see it," Tyson said. "He'd probably call my parents down, too. I'm sure the sick fuck would love to watch my mom's expression when she sees her accident being led away by the cops."