Social Menace {18}

This was quite possibly the worst day of my whole damn life.

                Grades had been released today, and the school posted them to promote students to work harder. And, oh god, my grades were actually good.

                Really good. So good, I was higher up than Drew Pawlikowski in the rankings.

                "I'm dead, I'm dead," I mumbled to myself as I moved through the hallways. It was the end of the day and I was infinitely relieved we didn't have a Social Action meeting today. Tyson texted us to let us know it was cancelled since the twins were busy helping their dad and Connor had to take his dog to the groomer's.

                That meant, at least, that Drew couldn't corner me before or after the meeting. It did mean I had to make it out of the school and down to my car without him killing me, though. I'd been relying on my Invisible Boy status all day to avoid him and so far so good.

                I guess it made sense that my grades were so good. They'd slipped a lot after Dylan's death. But now that I lived here and spent so much time alone at Uncle Brian's house, doing homework was a way to keep myself occupied. So I worked on it, putting a lot of effort into it to kill time, boredom, and loneliness. Of course my grades would go up.

                I rounded the corner and nearly ran right into Drew. My eyes widened and I tried to back up, but he grabbed my blazer.

                "You told me I had nothing to worry about," he said, throwing me against the lockers. "I figured I'd run into you if I waited by the exit."

                I put my hands up in surrender. "People get good grades. That doesn't justify murdering them or beating them."

                "You were mocking me the whole time, weren't you?" Drew demanded. "You played down how smart you were so that you could come out on top and mock the rest of us."

                "What? No!" I said. "I'm not smart. If I was, I wouldn't be in this current situation because I would've thought to take a different exit. See? Stupid!"

                "He's very stupid, I can confirm."

                Drew shot a dirty look at Tyson. Tyson leaned against the lockers and gestured at Drew to release me.

                "Go on and drop him. I have some business with him," Tyson said. He glanced at me. "Leave it to you to be such a pain. I needed to talk to you and instead I end up saving you."

                "You think you're such hot shit," Drew snapped. "You're nothing, you fucking cyclops."

                "Oh no," Tyson said in surprise, putting his hand over his fake eye. "Some people are blind in one eye. I'm so offended over your clever, original insult."

                "You shouldn't make fun of people for things they can't help," I said to Drew, glaring at him. "It's not his fault he's half-blind."

                "Okay, now that's a very debatable statement," Tyson said. "Anyways, I don't have time for elementary insults. So drop Nolan and get out of my sight. It's not a hard task, considering I'm a cyclops."

                "You think you and your friends are so fucking great," Drew said.

                "We are," Tyson said in confusion. "I'm a very great person. Right, Nolan?"