13~ DJ Kay?

Weeks ago.

    After playing Scrabble with my parents over pizza as is our custom every Friday night, I kissed them both goodnight and went up the stairs to my room with the excuse of having to study for an upcoming test. Entering into my room, I locked the door and switched on the lights.

        I picked up a text book from my reading desk and without even bothering to check the title, I plopped on my bed and opened it.

       Ten minutes and the same impossible mathematical equation later, I went down the stairs to check if anyone was still up. After making sure my parents were asleep, I changed into my usual; ripped jeans, Timberlands and some random top.

       This time though, I didn't wait for Jason to pelt my windows with rocks. I climbed out my window after switching off the lights and went down the ladder I had hoisted there after school. Of course, I could've chosen to jump, but I couldn't risk a broken knee or something else.

          The sound of a familiar car horn made me hurry across the street.

          "Hey Kay" Jason said as he opened the door for me to enter.

          "Hi" I responded.

        The car was unusually quiet. Then it clicked.

      "Where's Maica?" I asked , turning my head to look in the back.

       "She's er.. Kinda sick, so she couldn't make it out today" he said.

        "Ohhh. That's why she wasn't in school today. I looked everywhere for her" I said.

       Nodding his head, he turned up the volume of the car radio and loud rock music  came on, making the car rattle.

        "How can you listen to this stuff?!!" I asked, more  like yelled while covering my ears which turned out to be quite useless anyway.

        "What? You never heard of My Chemical Romance before? Like ever before? He sounded shocked.

       "My what?"

        "This is noise Jason. Can't we listen to something else instead? I pleaded.

        Turning into a parking lot, he switched off the engine and turned to poke my shoulder.

      " How. poke. Can. poke. You. poke. Call. poke. Rock. poke. Music. poke. Noise?poke. Who are you?" He asked, looking offended.

        I didn't answer him, I just felt relieved that he had turned it off.

        "So you coming or what?" He asked.

     I opened my eyes and saw that he was standing at my side of the car. Looking around, I realised we had reached Berlin already.

      "Well, that was fast" I said as I exited the car.

      Smirking , he said "What did you expect, duhhh?"

      Sticking my tongue out at him, I made to enter the building.

                                         §

         I still hadn't  gotten used to the loud music, flashing lights of various colours and the skimpily dressed individuals, grinding against each other. Berlin was a really cool place, every now and then , i bumped into some celebrity, but I couldn't ask for an autograph or anything else, because they were usually all wasted and wouldn't understand a word from my mouth.

        I made my way up to the DJs booth , where I saw a huge man standing at the glass door.

           Eyeing me , he thought for a second as if trying to make up his mind about something.

         "Are you the substitute?" He asked me, with a thick Italian accent.

          "Sorry, what?" I asked, confused.

           "Drake called in sick, said he was sending a substitute. You're the one aren't you?" He asked desperately.

           "Erm.. Sorry.. No" I said.

      Throwing his hands into the air , he started yelling in his mothers tongue, till he saw Jason approaching the both of us.

        "What's up , Luca?" Jason asked, peering behind him into the empty DJ booth.

         "Oh. Thank goodness you're here early" he said, dragging Jason into the booth.

      "Drake is sick, and there's no one to man the booth. I'm busy and I can't do it" he said, wiping sweat off his forehead.

      "What about his..." Jason asked.

       "Substitute? I don't know. I thought she was the one" he said gesturing to me. "But she said no".

       Jason turned to look at the supposed substitute and burst out laughing when he realised it was me.

       "Okay, I've got this under control, Luca. I'll do double shift, its no problem" he said.

       Visibly relieved, Luca slapped Jason on his back and said; "Thanks man, I owe you one".

          Turning , I moved aside as he hurried away, not wanting to get squashed by him.

          " Just shut up" I said to Jason as I entered the booth and sat beside him.

          "I didn't even say anything" he said, while turning on a new song.

           "Whatever" I rolled my eyes.

        "But you know, you'd be a really cool DJ" he said, leaning back in his chair.

           "Haha" I scoffed.

         "Really, female DJs are damn hot" he winked at me.

       Trying to hide my blush, I looked down at the crowd who had begun twisting their flesh to the new song.

      "You know...." He turned to face me again.

     "What?" I asked.

      "Luca is need of more DJs" he smiled.

       "So?"

       "Soooo"

       "Sooooo, what?" I asked again.

       "So could be our always" he smirked.

        "Did you just quote from The Fault In Our Stars?" I asked, smiling.

        "Maybe"

         "Like I was saying, I can train you in the noble art of disc jockeying" Somewhere afar off, I swear I heard a gong sound.

         "Noble?" I asked and burst out laughing.

         "Yeah" he rolled his eyes. "So , what do you say, DJ Kay?"

       "Yeah. Its cool I guess"

       "You bet" he smirked.

      Really though, in my head, I was already jumping and yelling in a thousand different languages. Being a DJ is way cool, but being a secret female DJ was going to be two words.

                    Totally Awesome!!!