Chapter 1

i understand if u rip on this, it was written years ago and not my best work.. sorry. u can read my other ones
———
When my childhood friend broke up with his girlfriend of two years, I didn't feel bad for him. The only thing I could think was, well, finally.

"Hey, don't be like that. She was a real bitchy one anyways," I offered as I watched him crumble in front of me in the library on campus.

It wasn't because he was a jerk or anything. He was probably the best boyfriend anyone could've had. He knew how to treat a girl right and really loved the stupid one he had.

"I never saw it coming, Jasper," Hayden, my childhood friend told me as he brought his head into his hands. "How could she suddenly lose interest in me after all of this time?"

I could've told him it wouldn't last. Anyone could have for that matter. Paisley was known to have various short-term relationships in the past. It took everyone by surprise when her relationship with Hayden even lasted two years. He was just too blindly in love to realize. It was like she plagued his sense of reality.

"It'll be alright. It's probably for the better," I told him.

"And how would you suppose that?" Hayden asked me, raising his head so his brown eyes bore into mine. His blond hair was somewhat ruffled, but to me, he still looked handsome.

"Now you've got more time to hang out with me," I said and smirked at him.

"If you're trying to cheer me up, you're greatly failing at it," he spoke.

"How so? What's so bad about my flattering presence?" I asked him.

"Everything," he answered. "You're a guy."

His response came as a surprise to me. I couldn't fathom why he was suddenly using my sex as an excuse not to hang out. We were childhood friends, after all.

"Would you rather I'd be a girl?" I inquired, quite sarcastically.

"I'd rather it not be you," he replied, pointedly.

His words hurt me more than he'd ever know and I didn't dare to tell him because he'd never believe me. I valued each moment I could grasp with the guy and of course, it pained me to know he didn't reciprocate these foolish feelings of mine.

"Low blow," I told him and pushed back in my chair, raising my arms up behind my head.

I'm not sure when these tiresome feelings of mine erupted for Hayden. In my eyes, though, it was inevitable. I mean, we were always together, since we were young. It was bound to happen.

When I'd first realized my feelings for him, we were both juniors in high school. Though, I know now that I'd been in love with him for much longer. It was because I was in denial for so long. How could I like guys? But that wasn't right. I didn't like guys per say.

I just liked Hayden. And it's become exhausting. Especially, those two years when Paisley was the only one in his eyes. I knew the whole thing would only bring pain, but there was no helping my brainless self.

"I should get going," I said and stood up from my chair across from Hayden. I reached over and patted his shoulder lightly, telling him, "I'm always here for you, Hayden." He looked up at me, a soft grin appearing on his face.

"Since we were kids," Hayden replied. "I've known that since we were kids."

"You'd better," I joked and grabbed my backpack. "I'm going to class now."

"Okay," he answered. "Sorry for sounding so harsh earlier. I'm just in a wicked mood."

I forced out a laugh to mask the pain he had caused me to feel. "It's not anything I'm not used to."