Chapter 11

The revelation that Xander might be bi, didn't surprise me in the slightest. With his cool front, good looks, and smarts, it was no wonder he'd have both girls and guys alike swooning over him. And I found myself agreeing with Drey. It wasn't fair.

"Ah, jeez," I said, sighing. "Life isn't fair."

"You're right about that," Drey said. "I'm book smart but unattractive, and you've got the looks but you're just plain stupid."

"You didn't have to put it that way," I replied. "But anyways, you're not going to have any time to tutor me now, right?"

Drey brought his hands to his head in frustration. "Damn it! Then I also won't have any time to hang out with May either. She's going to dump me for sure this time."

"She might not. You see, there's something else I should tell you," I said.

"What is it?"

"Xander offered to tutor me in your place."

"He did?" Drey asked. "Why would he do that?"

"I kind of just bombed the first exam and he heard my grade," I said and looked down. "I've got to make up for it on the rest of the exams coming up and I can't afford to do poorly."

"So you're going to take him up on his offer?" Drey asked.

"I guess," I said. "But, the more time he spends on tutoring me, the less time he has for himself to prepare for exams. It'll be a win-win situation for both of us. I'll pass mathematics and you'll keep your number one rank in the class."

"I didn't know you had it in you," Drey replied. "To think that far ahead and plan all of this. Maybe you're not as stupid as I thought you were."

"Maybe I'm not," I replied and grinned before turning over and closing my eyes.

---
The next morning, I rose slowly out of bed and got ready for class. I remembered that Hayden was in my Anatomy class and sent him a text, asking him if he'd arrived on campus yet. He replied saying he was running late and to head to class without him.

I sighed as it was unfortunate that we couldn't walk together. And then I cursed myself because Xander was in Anatomy as well, when I honestly did not want to face him. It was shameful that I had to rely on him now and all I could think was that he'd look down on me.

I slowly trudged to class, irritated, and forced myself to stop thinking about Xander. Hayden was going to be there anyways.

When I walked into the cramped classroom, I noticed that Hayden was yet to arrive. I chose a seat towards the middle of the class, remembering that it wasn't too close to the front of the room but not too far from the board. I pulled out my notebook and collapsed my head on my desk, my hands on my head.

The chair next to me slid out from the desk as someone slipped in beside me.

"You okay?"

I picked my head up and found Hayden looking at me, a concerned look on his face.

"Oh, hey," I said. "I'm fine, just waiting for you to get here."