Chapter 2

The rude bastard slipped away before I could get myself close enough to him. I was maddened that his sick sense of humor could have costed me my scholarship to Caldway University, and angrily marched back to the library where my pitiful friend sat, thinking of his bitchy- now ex-girlfriend, Paisley.

It wasn't until I thought back to the incident earlier that it dawned on me who the guy with the mysterious, light green eyes was, for I'd recognized him as someone who often hung out with Hayden; an upperclassman.

He never made a terribly great impression on me, rather, I'd always preferred to stay away from the guy. I'd pegged him as someone who was poorly influenced as he grew up, spending his money on drugs and alcohol instead of saving it for textbooks.

Deciding to take Hayden's mind off of his stupid ex-girlfriend, I began to tell him of my encounter with the green-eyed fellow.

Taking the seat I previously occupied across from Hayden, I tapped on the table next to his head, letting him know I'd arrived. He lifted his head and forced a smile to spread on his face. Immediately, I began talking because I couldn't bare to hear anything more about how much he missed Paisley. It hadn't even been a few hours since she dropped the ball on him.

"I met a rude bastard today," I told him, staring into his eyes. "In fact, I'd say you're quite familiar with him."

Hayden's eyebrow raised as he glanced at me, questioningly. "Me? Familiar with a so-called 'rude bastard'?"

"Yeah," I said. "There's a guy I always see hanging out with your group of friends. You know, the guy with the spiraling dark tattoo down one of his arms and the eerie green eyes?"

Hayden's eyes found their way up to stare at the ceiling as he thought about my description. Then his eyes returned to my own as it seemed he thought of someone who matched.

"Xander Peyton?" he asked me. "The upperclassman?"

"Sure, if that's what the jerk's name is," I answered, rolling my eyes. "I couldn't give a damn."

"Why do you keep calling him a bastard?" Hayden asked.

"Well apparently I sat in his damned seat in mathematics today," I started, sighing. "The guy threw a fit before taking the seat behind me. Though as he walked past my desk, he slipped a pack of cigarettes into my backpack."

Hayden smiled before he replied.

"That was nice of him," he said, holding back his laughter. "Cigarettes are expensive nowadays."

I playfully shoved Hayden's shoulder and his laughter erupted.

"Shut up," I said. "They fell out when I bumped into a girl in the hallway. He's freakin' lucky nobody saw it because I'd be pissed if my scholarship were to be stripped away. I can't afford this school without it. You know that."

"I know, I know. That was a pretty crappy thing for him to do. Not every family is as well off as his is," Hayden said. "I'm surprised he'd do something like that though. It's not like him."

"What do you mean? Are you telling me he's not normally an asshole?" I asked.

"What? Do you not remember him?" Hayden asked. "He's Paisley's older brother."

"Paisley's brother? Well damn, that explains his shit personality. Douchebagery must run in the family," I said and leaned back in my chair.

"Don't say that," Hayden said, his stare turning harsh. "Paisley isn't like that. I love her, you know."

At this point, all I could do was sigh. I couldn't understand what Hayden loved so much about the girl. But then again, anyone looking at me wouldn't be able to understand my infatuation for another guy, let alone him being my childhood friend.

Hayden casted his eyes downwards, as thoughts of Paisley resurfaced.

"Hey, Hayden," I said and tapped on his hand. "I didn't mean to bring up Paisley again."

"I know. It's not your fault that you're an idiot and didn't know Xander was related to her," Hayden said.

"Sorry," was all I could say. I looked at his large hand placed on the table and impulsively placed my own on top of it. The heat from his hand warmed the palm of mine as my fingers entangled themselves with his. I didn't know what I was thinking when I did this, but I figured I'd only keep my hand there for a little. As long as I possibly could before Hayden shrugged me off.

Seconds after my hand covered Hayden's, he slowly looked up, meeting my eyes. I felt my face heating up but didn't remove my hand. And then, Hayden smiled and my heart skipped a beat.

"What're you doing?" he asked, still smiling.

I brought my other hand to my neck in embarrassment and tried to think of an excuse for my insane desire to touch him.

"Just trying to comfort you," I managed. "Obviously my words are not helping."

He laughed, the sound causing my heart to beat faster.

"Idiot," Hayden said and placed his head back on the table. My hand remained on his and I covered my face with my other hand. I was so completely nervous and it saddened me that Hayden would never harbor the same feelings as I had for him.

But I was still holding his hand nonetheless. It was enough to satisfy me for now. And so, my hand remained on Hayden's while he closed his eyes and fell into a short sleep in the library.

At this time, I was beginning to relax as well.

That is, until I made eye contact with a particular dark-haired guy with a huge smirk on his face as his green eyes met mine and fell to my hand on top of Hayden's.

Xander Peyton.

I ripped my hand away.

---
Hi, please let me know if you liked the chapter by leaving a vote and comment! ~ thank you :)