Chapter 28

My eyes groggily opened, trying to piece together just where the hell I was. And when I tried to stretch my limbs out, I found it was utterly impossible to do so.

That was when my eyes snapped open, staring straight into the sleeping face of Xander Peyton. But the thing that mortified me the most was that my arm was wrapped across his chest as he lay on his back, my head still on his outstretched arm.

I instantly pulled my arm off of him, feeling heat course through my entire body. I pushed myself up in the bed, slowly moving Xander's arm so as to not to wake him.

"Shit," I whispered, eventually remembering last night's events and the embarrassing conversation we had.

That we never finished.

The nurses shyly giggled behind their clipboards and I rolled my eyes. I figured I should get out of here as soon as possible so I didn't have to face Xander any time soon. It was hard enough as it was now to hold myself back from him.

I began to slowly climb out of the bed, causing it to creak loudly, as I felt a warm hand slide through my fingers. I darted my eyes at Xander, who's eyes remained closed, as he pulled on my hand.

"Not yet," he whispered.

My heart began pounding against my chest as it always did when I was with him.

"W-what?" I whispered back, embarrassed for stuttering my response.

His eyes slowly opened, his long eyelashes rising, as a magnificent shade of green appeared. I looked down at him, causing heat to rush to my face.

"We're not done, Jasper," Xander said. "Did you really think I'd forget our conversation so easily?"

"Uh, no," I replied, placing my other hand on the back of my neck. "But I should get back. The nurses are waiting for you."

Xander didn't remove his eyes from mine as he spoke. "I'm sure they can come back later."

And with that, the two nurses giggled one last time before they exited the room. I sighed.

"They need to check up on you, idiot," I said. "How else are you going to heal?"

"I'm fine," he replied, tugging my hand. My body fell forwards, almost on top of his chest, but I caught myself in time before I crushed his ribs as I placed either hand on each side of his head.

He slowly brought his hand up to cup my face as I loomed over him, causing my breathing to temporarily stop.

"Jasper," he started. "You stir me up bad."

I stared down at him, remembering that I had said the same to him last night.

"Do I?" I said, a smile pulling at my lips.

His thumb then slid across my bottom lip, parting them for a moment.

"So fucking bad, Jasper," he whispered.

My heart was beating hard against my chest as I continued to stare at his beautiful face.

"Whenever I'm with you," he continued. "I can't keep my hands off of you."

I remained silent.

"Whenever we're apart," he said. "I can't keep my mind off of you."