Chapter 23

Drey beamed at me, his smile as wide as it ever has been.

"I knew it," he breathed. "Jasp, I so knew it! Remember when I said I sensed a love trian-"

"Drey," I sighed. "It's not like that. I'm not even sure how it happened. Just don't tell anyone."

He looked over at me, frowning. "Who do you take me for? I won't tell anyone, Jasp."

"You'd better not," I said as Drey offered a smile and got back to his desk.

I sighed into the phone again, staring at the ceiling.

"I can't believe this happened," I said, placing a hand over my face.

"I know," Xander replied. "Like I said, I have no idea what came over me. I don't go around kissing people whenever I please."

That made me laugh. "I'd sure hope not."

"But, you know," he started. "A part of me was hoping you wouldn't have minded it too much."

My eyes widened. "What do you mean?" I asked, saying each word slowly.

He took a moment before responding. "I mean, I'd like to think I'm not awful at you know, making out."

I snorted unattractively. "There's no way in hell I'm answering that."

"You don't have to," he said. "You did kiss me back, Jasper."

"Because you're the one who initiated it, Xander," I replied.

"I'd do it again."

I instantly sat straight up in bed, shocked. "You would?"

Xander's laughter sounded on the other end of the phone. "Damn it, I wish I could've seen your idiotic face."

"Fuck you," I said, ashamed at myself for falling for his stupid trick. I was also pissed that part of me felt excited. "I'm hanging up."

"So soon?" Xander asked and I rolled my eyes.

"Don't piss me off," I sighed. "It's like you can't help it."

"You piss me off too, you know," he replied.

"I do? I haven't even said anything," I said.

"Exactly," his deep voice rumbled. "I'm pissed that I'm the only one who seems to give a damn that we kissed."

I stilled as my mouth dropped open.

"Wh-" I started.

"Bye."

And with that, the line went dead.

I dropped my phone on my bed, staring straight into nowhere, as I remained utterly confused. The only way I could think was to pass Xander off as someone who was just helplessly mysterious and confusing. But that was the problem. You see, that was what was drawing me in, making me ever so curious. But there was a part of my mind which couldn't accept this fact, and forced me to sit back and say, "That's Xander you're thinking about." And so, because of this, I was often conflicted. Though, I couldn't stop what was happening.

Xander was falling for me.

I didn't blame him.

---

Anyways, I had yet another sleepless night, a seemingly common occurrence nowadays. The morning went by slowly, as that was how I had been moving. I was in no rush to arrive at my class and leisurely walked to the mathematics lecture hall. I couldn't think of a way to face Xander after I had willingly made out with him, and even though things appeared to go back to normal, I couldn't stop my idiotic mind from thinking about it. I'd told myself that the best thing to do was to pretend that it never happened.