Chapter 7

Mrs. Walker snuck her head out of the kitchen to look into the living room as she noticed Xander getting up to leave.

"Xander!" she yelled. "Thanks again for helping with the cooking!"

"No problem," Xander replied, hastily stuffing his phone into his pockets as he turned to leave. He took a few steps to initiate his leave from the living room as Mrs. Walker came into view.

"And the dishes, too!" she called.

My head whipped in Xander's direction. He stayed and helped with the dishes?

Xander nodded his head at her and Hayden got up to walk him out. "See you later, guys," Xander said, looking at each of us. Though, I noticed his eyes doted on mine for longer than they had on anyone else's.

Xander sped out of the house as Hayden followed him. When Hayden returned and collapsed back on the couch, Chase took the opportunity to speak.

"Wonder what's got him in such a hurry," he said.

I couldn't help but wonder the same thing. And the thing is, he looked worried. My curiosity got the best of me, as that's what I chose to call this emotion, and I decided to speak up as well.

"It's weird to see him look so worried when he's normally so poised and calm," I added.

"You're right," Hayden said. "I'm sure he'll figure it out, though. Whatever it is. That guy doesn't let anything get to him."

"Good for him," Rye said. "I think you should learn from him."

"What do you mean?" Hayden asked. "Learn what from him?"

"Not to let anything get to you," Rye said. "Like his little sister."

Oh shit.

"What the hell-" I said before Hayden spoke over me.

"I guess you're right," Hayden said. "It's about time I got over her, right?"

"Well, yeah. I mean, she's probably off somewhere flaunting herself at all of the guys, not having any second thoughts about you," Chase said.

I just stared at everyone, shocked that they could say such hurtful things to their friend. Before I could say anything to defend Hayden, Drey decided to speak up for some unknown reason.

"Hayden," he said. "These are some great friends you have. I also love it when my friends shit on me."

My mouth fell open as I couldn't believe what he'd just said. "Ballsy," I said as I looked over at him. He quickly darted his eyes away, obviously regretting the fact that he had spoken up.

Chase and Rye just laughed at him, and it pissed me off. It pissed me off how they could look down on someone different than them and say upsetting things to someone they called their friend.

"Let's go," I said and stood up from the couch, grabbing Drey's arm. "Thanks for having us over, Hayden. I had a great time. If it weren't for those two," I said, gesturing at Chase and Rye, "I wouldn't have felt the need to leave so soon. It's too bad they put such a nasty taste in my mouth."

Hayden looked down as if he was sorry that his friends had such ill-mannered behaviors. He walked Drey and me to his front door, stepping outside as we did.

"Give me the keys," Drey said as we got outside. "I'll warm up the car," he told me and nudged my side, grabbing the keys from my hands. He quickly walked down the driveway to my car, where he slid into the passenger seat, and leaned over to start the car.

"Thanks for coming tonight," Hayden said as I noticed him shiver. "And I'm sorry about Rye and Chase," he said. "And Xander."

"Ah, don't worry about it. I'm just glad we could hang out," I told him and smiled. "But you should get back inside. You're shivering, you know."

Hayden smiled and my heart sped up. "Yeah. I'm fine, though. We finally get to talk alone."

Truthfully, I didn't even notice the cold. Perhaps I had willed myself not to feel it so I could stay out and talk with Hayden for a little longer, or maybe I was just hot from the nerves of simply talking to him.

I took a step closer and instinctively brought my hands to his arms where I rubbed them, trying to create warmth. I noticed he started laughing and I quickly removed my hands.

"What?" I asked, embarrassed.

"I'm beginning to notice that you can be really cute sometimes," Hayden said, smiling.

At that moment, I was sure my heart stopped. I was positive I was hearing things. But before I could even manage to get any words out, Hayden turned around and opened his front door to step inside.

"See you tomorrow," he said before closing the door, leaving me to stare blankly at it for a few seconds.

"Jasp! You coming?" I heard Drey yell and it snapped me back to reality. "He's been gone, you know!"

I breathed out and finally began to walk back to my car. I climbed into the driver's side and Drey immediately yelled in my ear.

"Cupid strikes again!"

"What?" I asked.

"Come on. Don't tell me you didn't notice the huge favor I just did for you," Drey said as I pulled out of Hayden's driveway.

"Can't say I did," I replied.

"Seriously? I froze my ass off just to give you some alone time with your boy, Hayden," Drey replied.

"Oh," I said.

"Oh? Is that all you can say to the god of love?" he asked.

"I do not see anyone by that description anywhere," I said.

"You just refuse to believe it. How could a nerd like me be so experienced in love?" he said.

"You're hopeless in love," I said. "Your own relationship is proof of that. Though, I guess I can't deny what you did for me."

"Call me the god of love."

"What?"

"Say it and I will accept it as your thanks."

"What the hell," I said.

"Say it."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, god of love."

---
Hi, please let me know if you liked the chapter by leaving a vote and comment! ~ thank you :)