Episode 39 - Ashley Takes A Stand👽

"It took me quite a long time to develop a voice and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent."

-Madeleine Albright

👽👽👽

The fighting sequence of the Sleeping Beauty play commenced. Ashley had to wear a purple dragon costume to show the evil witch, Maleficent's transformation.

She looked funny, but that didn't matter. For once in her life, she had done something exciting--even if it was just a play for the school.

The slashing sound of the fake sword held in Ivan's hands was almost muted by the groan Ashley let out.

She fell on the carpet dramatically and watched Ivan's retreating steps.

The curtain closed and Ashley moved away from the center. As the curtain reopened, Ivan's figure rushed towards Elena, who slept straight on a bed.

The yellow wig on her head made her look like a different person altogether.

This was the final dress rehearsal, the play was almost over. Ashley never knew she would miss anything related to school.

After Princess Aurora was awakened by a true love's kiss, she and Prince Philip had to dance. This marked the end of the rehearsals.

A huge cheer erupted and the Drama teacher clapped Ivan's back with a grin. He shook hands with Elena, Kate, Max, and the other students who were a part of it, including Ashley.

The students began to work in clearing the props from the stage. Ashley noticed the smiles dropping from Max and Kate's faces.

Kate snatched her palm off from Max's and glared at him. Max, hurt and puzzled, held her by her shoulders.

The anger on their faces, however, couldn't mask the intensity of the way they stared at each other. For them, in a room full of students, there wasn't anyone else.

It was only them.

Ashley sighed. She wondered why a simple thing such as love should be so complicated. It was so clear, perhaps overwritten on their faces.

Max held Kate's wrists, which clutched his collars in an angry grip. Though their mouths were turned downwards in frowns, their eyes reflected the hurt their sharp exchange had left.

Ashley wondered what was their fight all about. A flicker of her gaze landed on Sarah, who smirked.

Ashley could tell this was that gray-eyed girl's victorious grin.

Was Sarah the reason for their fight?

Ashley shook her head. Whatever it was, she wished Kate would find happiness. That girl had gone through a lot, her tough demeanor told her that.

On her right, Elena and Ivan stood holding hands, their eyes smiling.

A small smile formed on Ashley's face. She had told Elena that the ice king liked her.

Little did she know, her smile would disappear as fast as it had appeared.

A large palm clutched her shoulder from behind. That scent, she could recognize it anywhere.

What was she doing here?

Pale in the face, Ashley turned to find her mother standing there with her arms crossed.

Displeasure, anger, and disgust would be far too less to describe what her fake, blue glare portrayed.

Her mouth hadn't even dried fully, the shock hadn't even seeped through her, but the slap had been able to throw all her happiness out of her reach.