Chapter 42

Emerald's POV

I could feel the tension in the room when I came back from the restroom. Dad stood up immediately and said to me in his usual commanding voice,  "Let's go."

"Now?"

"Yeah. Now." He said firmly and walked towards the door. 

I looked at Harry giving him a 'What's going on' question look, but he just continued staring at me. 

"Hurry up, Emerald." Dad stopped mid stride, made me and Harry followed him abruptly to the door.

I wondered what was very important that made him leave, we haven't been here in an hour. The food that we've been eating haven't even digested yet in our stomachs. He told us earlier that he had no business meeting for the next two hours. 

I had a feeling that something happened while I was in the restroom. The glow in Harry's eyes was gone and dad was acting crazy wanting to go back in the office immediately. 

"I'll call you later." Harry said in a very low voice.

"You're not coming with us?"

"Nope, I'll be with the royal guards."

"Okay." I gave him a quick hug and in return, he gave me a peck on the lips. "Will I see you later?"

Harry glanced at dad's back then turned to me. "Yeah, tonight." He gave me a kiss again, though it was quick, but hot and arousing. 

My heart felt heavy as I left ahead of Harry and followed dad.  

"What's going on?" I asked dad when I settled inside the passenger seat of his Bugatti Veyron. 

He just looked at me and his lips twisted in disappointment. 

"What happened dad. Something came up in the office?"

He was silent and it gave me a feeling that he was sulking because of Harry. 

What's his problem?

I stayed quiet, did not want to provoke his anger. He was a great dad, fun and loving, but when he was angry, it was better to leave him alone until his temper subsided.

"Why him?"

His question took me off guard. I felt all the blood drained off from my head, making my shoulders slumped instantly.

"Why not him?" I asked him back.

He shook his head, focusing on the road, then said. "He's a friend of Zion, that's okay with me, but being your boyfriend? I can't allow that Emmie."

"Harry is a good guy, you know that dad. Even his family, they're great and very good friends of ours. So what's the problem?"

"I'm not basing on his family and his character."

"So, why? He's very affectionate and loving. I've seen him dealing with people, he's very kind and generous. That's why they have high regard on him. He's dedicated in his advocacy, making projects and missions for the benefit of England."

"Yeah, he has the making of a great king, there's no doubt about that."

I was glad that he agreed on that but still, why he did not like Harry for me? "He's not the same naughty boy anymore, maturity changed him."

"I know. I saw how he changed, that's why I don't want him to be with you."

"Why? I don't understand."

"Look, he'd be okay for a start, but eventually... he'll be very busy. He will neglect you and won't have time for you, until you'll get hurt."

I heaved a sigh. Dad was overthinking, overreacting. I knew he was only trying to protect me from getting hurt, but I was not a kid anymore. How would I learn if he kept on defending me? I'm a grown up woman now. I have to handle any obstacles or trials that comes my way.