Chapter 7

Chapter 7
Home

Padabog akong umupo sa aking swivel chair at saka sumandal doon. Isang beses lang siya tumawag at hindi na naulit pa.

I massaged the temple of my nose.

I was already floating in the middle of stress because there was still a pile of work that I needed to finish, but look at me, prioritizing my problem with Jace than with the company.

I didn't know why he was even my top priority, when I knew that I wasn't even on his same fucking list.

Maybe I should try to rearrange my priority list first and put the company on top. Jace can manage to be on the second spot.

Kinuha ko ang aking cellphone mula sa drawer at saka tiningnan ang notification doon na mayroon siyang missed call sa akin.

I bet Elle will be so proud of me. Her best friend who was insane for Jace didn't answer his call. I managed to ignore it! That's a first!

Never have I imagined myself ignoring Jace's calls, but I did.

Muntik ko namang maitapon ang aking cellphone nang may pumasok sa mensahe galing sa kanya. Halos atakihin ako sa puso!

From: Jace
Did you receive my portfolio?

I bit my lower lip while reading his message over and over again.

Why don't we try to piss him off, huh, Zarina?

I decided to not answer his message.

Hindi ko alam kung saan ko nakuha ang lakas ng loob at pati na rin ang pagtitiis na aking ipinakita sa hindi pagsagot sa mensahe ni Jace. Kulang na lang ay ipagpatayo ko ng rebulto ang aking sarili dahil sa nagawa.

I didn't even know that I'd be able to resist Jace, but I think that this was already the extent of what I can do.

Avoiding to touch my phone and gave in to temptation, I let myself got drown in paper works that was needed to be done. I did my best to learn everything about the company. And while I was too engrossed with work, I heard faint knocks from the door and heard my secretary's voice filled the room.

"Ma'am..." nag-aalangan niyang pagtawag sa akin.

"Hmm..." I hummed while my eyes didn't leave the papers in front of me.

"Nandito na po ang snack ninyo..." sabi niya.

"Just place it on the coffee table. Thank you," I simply said and kept myself busy.

"And, Ma'am..."

"Let me handle her, Rose. Thank you."

I immediately halted from everything that I was doing when I heard that icy voice which sent shivers down to my spine. It gave me frightening chills, but it was also ironic how the cold manage to make the butterflies inside my stomach flutter.

"Okay po, Architect Sy," she said before I heard the door shut.

Napakagat naman ako sa aking labi bago unti-unting nag-angat ng tingin kay Jace.

His cold and dark brooding eyes were darting stares at me, and I just smiled in response to fight the cold and make the atmosphere warm somehow.

"Jace!" I called him and shock was still evident in my voice. "Didn't know you'll come..."

"I was here earlier," he simply said.

"Ah... Yes! Sabi nga ni Rose, pero ang sabi niya rin ay umalis na kayo ni Engineer Horan noong makarating ako. Hindi ko alam na babalik ka. Sana nagsabi ka," sabi ko naman.