Chapter 17

Chapter 17
Ice Cream

Jace became more comfortable with me when we ate our lunch together. He just remained quiet while we were eating. Well, that was really the Jace I knew. He instantly transformed back to himself when I told him to.

I didn't know if it was actually a good thing, but the moment he smiled at me when he caught me staring at him, I knew it was.

It was funny how those sweet gestures didn't even matter to me like how his smile did. He really didn't have to try so hard. I just wanted him to be true to himself. I wanted him to open up his feelings to me. I wanted to see I matter to him by being involved in his life. That was what I wanted. I didn't need anything else.

"After our meeting tomorrow, we will go straight to our house for a dinner," Jace told me when he halted the car in front of our house. "I already told my mom that you accepted her invitation. She's thrilled with the thought of finally meeting you."

Hindi ko alam kung bakit kaysa maging excited ay mas lumala lang ang kaba na aking nararamdaman.

"Uh... Sige. Bukas na lang," nagmamadali kong sabi nang dahil sa hindi maipaliwanag na kaba. "Ingat ka sa pag-uwi, Jace. Bye."

Mabilis ang naging pagtakbo ko papasok ng aming bahay. And just like a déjà vu with a few distinctions, I found mom waiting for me at the living room when yesterday, it was dad who was in the same position.

"I'm home, mom..." I announced with slight hesitation before I came closer to kiss her cheek.

She casually closed the business magazine that she was reading before she turned to me. The way she stared at me felt like I did something very wrong.

"Who drove you home?" she asked me.

"Si Jace po," tipid kong sagot.

"Oh..." she let out a sarcastic laugh. "That Architect who also fetched you earlier."

Bahagyang kumunot ang aking noo nang hindi ko nagustuhan ang tono ni mommy sa kanyang pananalita.

"Zarina, ano na lang ang iisipin ni Dylan kapag nalaman niyang may ibang sumusundo at naghahatid sa kanya?" tanong ni mommy. "You two are just starting to build your relationship together. We don't want him to think ill of you, right?"

"What are you talking about, mom?" I guessed she got everything wrong between Dylan and I. "I don't know why Dylan's opinion will matter. I get that he's trying to get to know me, but we're certainly not together. It's not like I'm cheating because I'm not."

"I thought you already understand, Zarina," mariing sabi ni mommy at hinawakan ako sa aking braso. "Pinaplano na namin ng mommy ni Dylan ang nalalapit ninyong engagement dahil nakikita naming nagkakamabutihan na kayong dalawa. Don't spoil the moment and remain faithful to Dylan. That Architect is no good anyway."

Marahas kong binawi ang aking braso sa kanyang pagkakahawak at umatras papalayo.

I can't stand her underestimating Jace because he was not a person you can think so low of. His name was already screaming success. What more if he will boast his achievements at a very young age?

"Paano ninyo po nasasabi 'yan, 'mmy?" I can't help but to be disgusted at my mother. "I have no commitments with Dylan for you to ask me to be faithful. We have no strings attached. And don't underestimate Jace because he already has a lot of achievements at a young age."

"You have to understand that I am doing this for you!" giit ni mommy. "Dylan can help you with our company once you two to get married. Our companies will also merged and unite. Just think how bright your future will be once it happens. Mag-isip ka, Zarina. Huwag kang basta-basta na magpapadala sa panandaliang nararamdaman mo na handa mong itaya ang kinabukasan mo."