Chapter Twenty : The Boy's Sensual Kisses

It was another balmy summer morning with the gauzy sun peeking over the few clouds which were floating aimlessly in the clear sky. Gemma and I were quietly finishing our breakfast which consisted of classic pancakes with honey and glazed peaches. Mum was stuffing a buttered toast in her mouth while simultaneously cooking for lunch. Dad took the last sip of his coffee, placed the daily newspaper down on the table and glanced at his watch. Just as he got up to place a feather-like a kiss on my mum's forehead lovingly, Shaun emerged out in his pyjamas.

"Here's your coffee Shaun." Mum thrust the cup filled with bitter coffee in his hands and he lazily walked towards us. He ruffled Gemma's hair who offered a small smile and then tried to ruffle my short hair while I ducked my head, dodging his hand.

"Bug off, how many times am I supposed to tell you that I hate your greasy hands touching my hair." Although I whined, he didn't miss my playful smile. He reached out to grab a piece of fruit from my plate and I shrieked, "Hey, hands-off from my plate!"

When I swatted his hands away, he moved to Gemma's plate who quickly retracted it and we burst out laughing. Shaun was weird like that, some days he played with us and the other days he minded his own business. It was maybe because Gemma and I connected more and he felt left out. Mornings like these made us feel like we were living a normal life in a normal family. Normal felt good.

"Bye kids, we'll go out for ice cream tonight," dad announced blithely and Gemma's lips stretched into the widest grin. She loved ice cream as opposed to Shaun who had teeth sensitivity. "Yoghurt for you son."

Dad winked at us and left. I got up lazily with my empty plate. I dumped it in the sink with the other dishes and reached for the soap to clean them. Mum motioned me to leave it there and instead, handed me my lunch bag.

"There are chicken sandwiches for you Joy and grilled cheese sandwiches for Logan," she said and switched off the stove. "Gemma here's your lunch, grilled cheese sandwiches for you too."

Gemma went to the summer school because she found nothing worthwhile to do at home and working at the flower shop was out of an option since she loathed interacting with new people. Mum made lunch for her and since I had to try and avoid eating much of grilled or oily food for health reasons, mum made chicken sandwiches for me and grilled cheese for Gemma. She had started to make a little extra for Logan who loved anything and everything that my mum cooked.

I grabbed my lunch and sauntered out of the house after saying goodbye to everyone. I placed my lunch bag in the basket of my bicycle, sat comfortably on the seat and pedalled towards the shop. The sun's rays tenderly kissed my skin because the morning sunlight wasn't harsh. The breeze gently tickled me all over and the exuberant feeling of the various giddy sensations washed over me, leaving me giggling and breathless.

Once I arrived at the shop, I locked my bicycle to the bench, grabbed my lunch bag and jostled in through the door.

"Good morning, Logan!" I placed the lunch bag on the counter and grinned.

"Are you drunk?" He stared at me with utmost fascination and brought his right hand towards my cheek. I blinked as he swept his long index finger across my cheek and then glanced at his finger. His eyebrows knotted in confusion. "I thought you wore makeup, but you're not wearing any makeup and your skin is glowing. You-you look almost healthy."

"Really?" I touched my own cheek and my grin widened. "I have started doing yoga, but this isn't because of yoga. I know the real reason. It's because I'm in love!"

"You're in love?" His voice was scarcely audible and I nodded enthusiastically.

"Yes! I'm in love with nature!" I beamed at him and he sighed. "Today was so pleasant and I realized that I'm in love with these flowers, the trees, the sky, the ocean and even the rocks."