Chapter Twenty Six : The Boy At The Lighthouse

"It's low tide now, but during high tide, you take this boat," grandpa instructed sternly. We were standing right below the lighthouse, salty wind gusting around it. The narrow strip of land which served as a pathway was vividly visible due to low tide and the boat rendered useless. We climbed the half-ruined staircase of the lighthouse among the rubbles of the ground floor.

The musty smell inside, the damp walls and the sunlight spilling through every cleft and crevice of the light-lemony lighthouse heightened my yearning for something beautiful, yet unknown. I could vaguely notice a feeling of nostalgia washing over my grandpa's wrinkly face as he guided us. Years ago, this place was full of life- my grandparents' laughter richocheting the walls, their quiet whispers being carried over by the crisp air and their unconditional love being sung by the ocean itself.

Logan's eyes were soft as he inhaled deeply, savouring the temperate atmosphere. Both of us glanced at each other calmly, running our fingers over the porous walls. This lovely place made us forget about our past worries and anxiety, it made us feel liberated.

"I have arranged everything," grandpa announced as he swung the cream coloured door open. The room looked inviting and warm with a cosy little bed and a dusty, old carpet. It almost looked like a winter cottage, but the floral curtains said otherwise. There were two metal stools which made an annoying scraping noise when moved. "I need help to remove the carpet. Kellerman, drag your scrawny ass up here to move aside the bed."

Logan did as he was asked to do and I carried the stools to the tiny kitchen like area. The kitchen had a counter top comprising of only a small burner, a sink and some utensils. There was a cubicle beside the kitchen (only hidden by a plastic screen) which had a toilet. There was no shower, but I knew that Logan could manage. He was an expert in skipping showers and when he needed to really wash, he would do it with the help of the sink.

Grandpa and Logan rolled the carpet and exposed the smooth, cool floor. We put everything back in place and and all three of us seemed pleased. Grandpa and Logan went down to bring things from the truck while I waited patiently, gazing out of the window. I was welcomed by endless water as far as I could lay my eyes on. The twelve year old me would have boasted about being the queen of the ocean and the lighthouse- my castle.

Grandpa and Logan set out Logan's stuff and food in the kitchen. Grandpa placed the boxes of Oreos, chips and Mac and Cheese on the counter and said tartly, "Don't be foolish and use the burner unnecessarily, you'll run out of gas. Use some of that sense left in your junky brain and touch the burner only during emergency. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir," Logan said with determination, tremendously grateful to my grandpa for all his assistance.

"Good. JJ or Shaun will drop by to give you food daily, but if we get caught, you eat this." Grandpa patted the packed food and Logan looked afraid, his gaze hovering over me in trepidation. He was worried about us getting caught. Grandpa grunted, "I'll protect my granddaughter bonehead, she won't get caught. I won't let that happen."

"You both should stop fretting. I can protect myself, thank you very much," I muttered and crossed my arms against my chest. Grandpa and Logan mockingly shook their heads at me in unison. "Hey, I'll rip your heads off! I'm serious!"

"We never said you weren't," Logan dared to say and grandpa ruffled my hair. I tried to dodge his large hand and then hugged him tightly. Grandpa returned my hug and chuckled under his breath when I refused to let go.

"Come on JJ, I have to go to the shop," he said lovingly and I released him. "Since Kellerman won't be there, Shaun'll have to work."

Logan's Adam's apple bobbled in guilt and he averted his gaze to the floor.