Chapter Sixty Seven : The Girl's Naked Kisses

Third Person's POV [Logan's POV]

Logan was discharged from the hospital and although the doctors advised him to rest, he barely could afford to do that. He had to make frequent trips from college (to catch up on notes), his job, police station for enquiries and Joy's house where he finally felt like home. At the station, the cops were searching for the criminals based on Logan's descriptions about them.

Logan wanted them to be punished, but he didn't care any longer. He knew karma wouldn't let them get away or his cruel uncle. He also knew that because of the police investigation, his uncle wouldn't dare to touch him for some months now. Besides, he felt invincible, like no force on earth could even blow a strand of his hair. The power in him was more spiritual than physical and all the events leading him to the brink of death taught him that stressing out caused him to only die a little bit everyday.

For the first time in his life, he truly believed that he was strong.

Logan ate the leftovers of the chicken curry that Joy's mum had sent him, quickly washed the dishes and sorted out his little apartment. He cleaned his bedding, scrubbed his bathroom and let sunlight fill the place. Finally, he took out the trash and proceeded towards Joy's house.

How far he had come from the start of summer! His counsellor, David appreciated him repeatedly about his progress and now he understood what he had meant. That attempted murder had made him realize how badly he wanted to continue living and do his best as long as he could. He valued this gift of life and wanted to cherish it thoroughly.

Tears welled up in his eyes each time  he remembered that Joy's gift wasn't big enough.

He wished for a miracle, for Joy to wake up one day and start cycling around the town like nothing had happened. For her to arrange flowers in the shop, water them, help them grow. For her to build sandcastles with him.

Balling his hands into fists, he strode up the lane, burying his fists deep in his pockets. Just when he was about to ring the bell to Joy's house, the door swung open. Her mum emerged out, dressed smartly in a navy blue suit.

"Ah, I was waiting for you. Glad you're here, I had to go out for some work," she said, pleased. "Call me if you or Joy need anything."

"Of course and the curry was delicious."

"Oh, that's nothing." She waved her hand dismissively, then looked up at him. "You're a sweet boy Logan." She gave a small pat on his back and he awkwardly stood there. "Thank you for being there for her."

He shrugged. "I love her Mrs Jones."

She only nodded, conservative enough to not discuss her daughter's love life.

"Well, she will be happy to see you." With that, she gave a brief smile and left.

Logan stepped in and closed the door behind him. He didn't linger around the empty house and headed straight upstairs to Joy's room. He knocked on the door patiently. Once. Twice. Thrice. There was no reply.

He opened the door and gingerly went in, thinking that Joy would be asleep. But there was no one sleeping on the bed. Only the sound of tap water running caught his attention.

"Joy, you in there?" he called out, standing outside the bathroom.

The water ceased to flow. "Logan?"

"Yeah, it's me, the flower thief. Your boyfriend." He chuckled to himself and heard her soft laughter.

"I recognize him. He can come in," she said, her voice light and airy. There was a long silence since Logan was baffled. Had he heard her correctly? "Come in dummy, I'm not joking."