Chapter Thirty Six : The Boy's Anger

We arrived at our destination, Logan slowing the bicycle to a halt. The hospice care centre was a large three storey mansion with vivid blue roof,  polished glass door and equally lustrous windows. It looked nothing sort of an accomodation for the dying, instead it looked like a luxurious resort. The harsh reality of this opulent structure lay confined in the beds of the rooms inside.

Logan and I clambered on the short stairs, exhausted by our bicycle trip. Logan was admiring the place and he seemed impressed. I had seen this mansion from outside and checked it on the internet. My parents had visited this centre before, but this was my first time. Mum and dad liked and approved of this, so they had asked me to check it out too.

It was a really difficult decision for us to choose hospice care which meant that I was actually dying. Hospice care was a sort of palliative care. It was for people who had six months or less to live and I would be there soon. The end.

We awkwardly entered the magnificent lobby area with ornate ceiling and dazzling lights everywhere. The floor was spotless and gleamed, I could clearly see my face on it. Hospice care centres were supposed to be lavish, to make our last days pleasant and comfortable.

"It's grand, isn't it?" I said as Logan nodded silently, adulating the massive, glittering chandelier hung above. A smiling, stout lady with golden hair and fair cheeks approached us. I returned her smile generously. "I'm Joy Jones. My parents- Mister Alex Jones and--- "

"Ah yes, Joy Jones. Your parents had told me you're going to visit today. How are you dear? I hope you find this place comfortable." She gently squeezed my hand.

"I'm alright, thank you. I came here to check my room, I suppose my parents informed you about this?"

She continued to smile sweetly and I wondered how she wasn't tired yet. "They did, come this way dear."

I pulled Logan along as I followed the lady through the passageway. Her block heels clunk against the floor and her golden curls swayed. I noticed a door slightly ajar. I dared to sneak a peek inside, a frail figure lay on a king size bed with two people sitting on the chairs beside the bed. I bit my lip nervously and glanced at Logan, he was tugging at his sleeves uneasily.

"Here we are," the golden haired lady announced blithely as she unlocked the door. Logan and I stepped in after her, a cosy sight welcoming us. The ceiling was as splendid as the one in the lobby area, a smaller diamond chandelier suspended in the middle. Royal red carpet flooded the floor, a huge mahagony desk in one corner, a warm traditional fireplace below a fifty inch television set, cream coloured plush sofa on one side, a wooden closet matching the desk beside it and a bed three times bigger than the double bed in my room with twenty different sized pillows stood in the centre of the airy room. "How's it?"

"It's . . . wow," I breathed, taking in the surroundings and walked towards the giant window. Pushing the thin, white papery curtains aside, I unlatched the window and inhaled deeply. Tears sprang in my eyes as fresh air hit me tenderly and pools of blue and green stared back at me. I said vaguely, mesmerized by what lay in front of me, "Ocean view. This . . . This is perfect."

"It is indeed. I'll leave you both here, if you need anything, just call me. I'm Amy by the way," the lady introduced and left the room.

I turned towards Logan. "This must cost a lot. I wonder if my parents can afford it."

"Yeah," he agreed and cautiously sat on the bed, afraid that he would spoil the fluffy blanket.

"I can't believe that I would be this close to the ocean, Logan!" I exclaimed, but he didn't share my enthusiasm. He was rather stiff, his lips pursed into a grim line. "What's the matter? You don't like it?"