Chapter Thirty Eight : The Girl With The Creepy Grin

Third person's POV [Logan's POV]

Logan didn't feel particulary nice eating for free at Joy's home, so he decided to take some apples as a gift. He had initially declined Joy's invitation for a special dinner at her home [a farewell party for his brother] but in the end he gave in. He loved her mum's cooking, his own mum didn't cook half as good as her when she was alive.

He dressed up in his usual stiff shirt and dark jeans. Standing in front of the mirror, he combed his hair neatly. He had showered properly and felt fresh, his hair softly falling over his forehead. His sky blue shirt hung loose as he tucked it in his jeans. Staring at his reflection, he promised himself that he would eat more and work out once he had the free time and money. He didn't want to be skinny forever, all clothes looked baggy on him in spite of being tall. Maybe being tall made him look skinnier.

He grabbed the keys, his wallet, his phone and the brown paper bag consisting of the apples. He locked his apartment and entered the unreliable elevator which shook terrifyingly and produced the usual helicopter like sounds. He let out a breath of relief once he reached the ground floor and just as the doors opened, his eyes met Marilyn's.

"Hey kiddo," Marilyn greeted in her everyday mysterious glory. Joy had told Logan about Marilyn and Shaun, so Logan wondered what she was doing here? Wasn't she invited to the dinner as Shaun's close friends were invited? Perhaps she herself didn't choose to go. "Where are you off to?"

"To Joy's place," Logan replied uneasily.

Marilyn only nodded and entered the elevator, her face devoid of any emotion. "See you around kid."

"Yeah," Logan breathed as the doors closed. Well, that was awkward. He simply shrugged and started trudging towards Joy's house.

Ten minutes later, he arrived at the typical suburban house with blue roof, bright white walls, cute little french windows, cream coloured door and a green mowed lawn. Their house was a little bigger than the rest of the houses lined up in the street. Joy's family weren't particularly rich, but quite well off. They earned enough that they could provide for their children an easy life and afford Joy's medical expenses with little loan.

Logan rang the doorbell and awkwardly shifted his weight from one leg to another. He was feeling hot and bothered, the sweltering heat of the sun burning his skin as he loosened his collar. There was some shuffling noises inside and the door finally swung open, much to his relief.

Gemma peered out and Logan inwardly groaned. He knew that she had autism and had forgiven her for her past troubles, in fact that had meant nothing to him, but he didn't want to go through that again. Once she would create a scene, her mother would only scold her and that would hurt that poor girl more. Thankfully, Gemma didn't push him and instead asked in her normally soft voice, "Why are you here?"

"Joy invited me for dinner," he replied glibly.

"Okay." She simply opened the door further and stepped aside, letting him in. Perhaps the scene at the lighthouse had changed her perspective towards Logan. She must have realized that Logan was harmless and did care about Joy and that her sister was in safe hands. Logan realized this too as he nodded at her, but her gaze was casted down. Just then, Joy appeared in the doorway.

"Hey Logan, come on in!" Joy held his clammy hand and led him in. Logan noticed that she looked classy and older in her chic beige coloured blouse and smart white skirt. She was oblivious to how she looked and what effect she had on Logan as she continued, "I'm so glad that you came now. The table's set and Shaun's friends are already seated. By the way, was it hot outside?"

"Yeah and erm . . . I bought these apples." He lifted the paper bag up as Joy halted outside the dining area.

Right then, her mum emerged. Joy said while taking the apples and thrusting it to her mum, "Logan bought these."