• three •

-
Jessica watched her tweet soar in popularity after Auston had retweeted it. Many people interacting and following her. Steve had his own following, but she was fairly new barely had 1000 followers compared to most of her coworkers at Sportsnet.

"Steve," Jessica grabbed Steve's attention. He had come to find her after the tweet started to blow up. "Can you believe this?"

"Auston Matthews followed me."

"He followed me too," Jessica commented.

"Auston. Matthews. Followed. Me." Jessica could have sworn that he hadn't blinked since that notification appeared on his phone. "Jess, Matthews followed me."

"So did Marner and Nylander," Jessica reminded him.

He went wide eyed and stared at her. "Oh. My. God. You're right! They followed me too! Holy crap!" Steve checked his notifications to make sure that they really had followed. "Am I dreaming? Because this is like a dream come true."

"I'm pretty sure we're both awake," Jessica laughed. She had turned off her twitter notifications on her phone, but that didn't stop her computer from making a noise when she got a new message.

AM34
Hey, how have you been?

"Steve, just stay calm," Jessica laughed and sat behind her desk. She smiled seeing Auston's message. "Last thing I need is to call Sarah and tell her that her husband has like died from the shock of a twitter follow."

jessicasummers
Do I know you?
seen
Kidding, I've been good! Great actually!
since you've retweeted me I've gained
so many followers lol. How are you?

AM34
Great, we beat a record the other night.
Most wins in a season. People are
saying we might be one of the best
Leaf teams in the teams history.

jessicasummers
No pressure... but fans have had faith
in this franchise winning its next Cup
for over half a century, so don't mess this
up for people like Steve who have
believed in this team more than himself.

AM34
Right, no pressure tho?

jessicasummers
Right

AM34
So what I'm hearing is you want to see us win?

jessicasummers
No, I wanna see the Jets kick your teams ass
But if I can't have that then I guess
watching you guys win is fun too.

AM34
You're funny, I can't wait for you to come
to a game. The team is talking about
it being the first playoff game we play.

jessicasummers
I can't wait! Mitch said something
about hanging out afterwards so I
can roast you a little more 😂

AM34
Maybe we can hangout before that?

jessicasummers
Mitch and Steve would love that! They
both got along so well the other day!

AM34
I was hoping we could grab coffee or
something, just the two of us? I enjoyed
hanging out with you.
seen

AM34
Is that okay? If not the others are more
than welcome to tag along lol

"Steve!" Jessica whisper yelled. He looked over at her, one of the other writers in the cubicle next to her looked over annoyed. She mouthed an apology and glanced toward Steve. Motioning for him to come look.

He walked over and glanced at her computer screen, reading the conversation with his mouth wide open the entire time.

"No way, no fricken way," He mumbled. "Did you just get asked out on a date? No fricken way!"

"I know it's hard to believe someone might want to go on a date with me Steve, but come on that was just mean," Jessica teased him.

"I didn't mean it- Shut up and reply to the poor boy!" He pushed her towards her keyboard. "Because if you don't go on the date I will."

Jessica just stared at him confused. "I don't think that's how dating works- but you're married."

"Sarah would understand," Steve assured her. "I mean come on- It's Auston Matthews!" He whispered. "You better say yes or we can't be friends!"

jessicasummers
Sorry! I got caught up with a coworker!
But I'd love to go for coffee sometime!

AM34
Great! Does Thursday work?

jessicasummers
Thursday would be perfect :)

AM34
Awesome. I'll text you so you have my
number. I don't really use Twitter a lot.

jessicasummers
sounds like a plan.
I'll be waiting to hear from you.

"Steve?" she looked behind her at her friend. He was still reading the conversation over her shoulder. "Am I really going on a date with Auston?"

"I think you really are," Steve smiled and laughed. "Best. Day. Ever!"

Jessica couldn't help but laugh along with Steve as he talked about how much he couldn't wait to get tickets to go to the game. He rambled on about each leafs player, making Jessica laugh a little more. Auston texted her prompting a whole new level of fanboy from Steve, which somehow got more comical the more she let him freak out.

Jessica had expected some players who thought they were the greatest people to wear a pair of skates since they all were high draft picks; except she was so wrong about all of them.

Maybe these Maple Leafs weren't as bad as Jessica thought they might be.