• twenty-two •

a/n
sort of another filler chapter so ooops. But yeah, this is honestly all over the place so frick, I'll probably fix this in the morning tbh.

-
Jessica doesn't stay asleep for long. She finds herself in Auston's embrace unable to sleep after she's woken up. Not that she minded, she was a little cold and he was the opposite.

But eventually she became a little hungrier than she'd like, so she found herself trying to slip away without waking him. She grabs one of the two phones on the table, her and Auston have the exact same phone and neither owns a case. The screen lights up and she notices there's a few missed calls and a few messages from a group chat named "don't add Babs" which Jessica assumed was a leafs group chat minus the coach. Which also meant she had picked up the wrong phone.

One message, the most recent, was from an unsaved number.

i miss you. hope your okay.

She cringed at the bad grammar but wondered who that would be. Except she wouldn't be that girl either; she refuses to be the one who doesn't trust her boyfriend.

Boyfriend, it still sounded weird to her, but a good weird.

She switched phones and headed to the kitchen for something to eat or at least to drink. As she swapped his phone for hers she smiled seeing that he had a couple photos on his nightstand; one of him and his parents and the other she assumed was of him and his siblings. She quietly left his phone the way she found it and headed for the kitchen.

Auston's fridge was fairly empty of any snacks and at this moment she didn't feel like cooking, but there were a few apples so she took one of those.

She wandered around Auston's apartment, taking it all in. Until today she'd never been inside to really get to know him. The place was fairly clean, a little dusty, but otherwise it was organized and clean. It was modern and had an open concept thing with how his furniture was arranged. The cleanliness and organization of his apartment surprised her considering he was a 20 year old hockey player who was rarely here for long periods of time.

In the corner of the room there was a bookshelf, which made Jessica laugh. That was something she didn't expect either; Auston never talked about if he enjoyed reading. Sorted into fiction novels were a few authors she hadn't heard of, and few she had; but down a shelf was a collection of cookbooks.

That surprised her more than the bookshelf itself. Auston cooks? He definitely would have to cook for her sometime, or show her some of his favourite recipes. He had quite a few cookbooks.

Jessica plucked a novel from Auston's shelf and and curled up on the couch, taking the blanket he had draped over to warm up. The book had an interesting beginning and hooked her right into the story.

Auston woke up to the other side of the bed being colder than when he had gone to sleep. Which had him wondering if Jessica left, or possibly she went to the bathroom. He hoped she was at least in the apartment still.

He rolled over in bed and unlocked his phone. There were a messages from quite a few people to check in on him. He ignored them and immediately went to google. The first article he found after the google search he clicked on.

A lot of the articles written about game seven, and the leafs playoff disappointment as a whole, revolves around his lack of contributions on ice. The rational part of him knew he tried, but the irrational part allowed himself to believe that they lost because of him.