• twenty-three •

a/n
I've been very lazy recently and haven't written anything so apologies but i'm gonna try to find some time. I've just been busy with University stuff and work and yeah. I've been hear just reading everyone else's updates lol.
-

Auston checked the time on his phone as he walked down the hallway, one headphone hanging loose and the other in his ear. He paused his music and searched his pockets for his keys.

"Hey!" An all too familiar voice made Auston flinch and look up confused. He slipped his hood off and stopped about five feet from his front door where she was leaning against it.

"What are you doing here?" Auston's asked unmoving. "I thought I told you not to call again."

"I'm not calling you am I?" She held her hands up in defense. "I like when you're angry, it's pretty hot," she stepped towards him.

"Don't," he warned and stepped the opposite way. She stared at him and looked him up and down.

"What's wrong? You're never like this," She wondered aloud.

"I'm seeing someone," He replied and moved to pass her in the hall.

"Seeing someone?" She stopped him with her hand on his chest.

Auston felt his heart rate rise and his breath quickened slightly under her touch.

"You- Seeing someone? You of all people? Maybe Mitch, but you," She stared up at him and frowned.

"What happened to you?" She whispered, mostly to herself, but Auston heard her clearly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He questioned. Her hand hadn't moved from where it was placed on his chest. He noticed it but didn't move as he waited for her response.

"You've changed. Everything's different now I guess," Her hand trailed one finger for only for a moment before she dropped it completely. "You've gone soft. You're an NHL star, young and good looking; the Auston I know would have embraced that lifestyle."

"Well that Auston decided it was time to grow up," he replied without even thinking about it.

"So what, you're settling down then? You're gonna start a life with whatever he name is?" She was skeptical.

"Maybe, I haven't thought about it yet, but that sounds nice," Auston finally stepped around her and started to unlock his door.

She quietly laughed not even turning to look at him. "So I guess you really didn't want me to call," she mumbled. She hoped it had been a lapse in judgement and that he changed his mind.

"That's usually why someone changes their phone number," Auston mumbled just loud enough for her to hear. He didn't open his door yet because he didn't want her to invite herself inside. He didn't really understand why she showed up in the first place. She turned and looked back at him over her shoulder.

"I guess this is goodbye?" She forced a smile. Auston smiled back sincerely.

"It is. Goodbye Jordyn," he opened his door and walked inside. He made sure to close the door and lock it quickly.

He breathed a sigh of relief once inside his apartment. It was like the past was finally finished haunting him and he could move on and be happy.

For the first time he finally felt he could let himself fall for Jess. The idea of waking up next  to Jess, binge watching Netflix with her, travelling with her, introducing her to the rest of his family; he wanted to live his life alongside someone for the first time.

The terrified him in the best way possible.