• five •

-
Jessica stepped off of the train and headed towards the parking lot. Her mother and father begged her to come for dinner and offered to drive her home afterwards. She hadn't been home in sometime, so going home for Easter dinner didn't sound too bad.

She found her dad waiting in the parking lot. He smiled when he noticed her walking over.

"My daughters met some of the best players on the Leafs," he laughed when she opened the door and got in. "Did you get your old man an autograph?"

Jessica laughed a little. She never thought about getting autographs when she interviewed the players. "I wish I had. I never thought about it when I interviewed them."

"It's fine, I'm only kidding," her dad laughed. "Next time you meet some really good player get something signed for me eh? Makes a great Christmas gift!"

Jessica gave her head a shake and smiled. "I'll get someone to signed something for you. How have you been?"

"Good, your mom and I are loving retirement," he smiled. "Well actually no, I'm bored. I have nothing to do now that I'm retired, being retired is not for me."

"Yeah, I have a bet with mom that you don't stay retired for long," Jessica laughed. "You always hated not being busy."

The pulled into the driveway and her father parked the car. The two of them stepped out and headed into the house. Jessica mother poked her head around the corner from their kitchen, looking down the hall to see her daughter home. "Jessica! Come here, I want a hug!"

She set her purse down on a table near the door and slipped off her shoes. It really had been a while since she had been home. "Did you guys paint the house?"

"We did! Had to cover up that atrocious colour from before," her mother smiled. Jessica walked over and hugged her mother who was finishing up a few dishes. "Dinner will be ready soon, the roast just needs to cook, went in the the oven right before you got here."

"Sounds good mum," Jessica opened the fridge to grab a bottle of water. "So how are you?"

"Great! I've been cooking more, your father bought me this really nice cook book!" her mother rambled about different recipes and ingredients she never thought to include in her cooking before. Jessica leaned against the counter and listened for a minute, before her mother stopped herself. "How have you been? I heard you got that really big interview with those hockey boys."

"It went really well. I might have actually got a few new friends out of them. Dad pointed out that I should have gotten him an autograph so I might ask one of them to sign something," Jessica smiled, her father stepped into the garage so she knew he wouldn't overhear her.

"Are any of them cute?" Her mom turned away from the sink, finally finished with her dishes.

"Mum," Jessica laughed and rolled her eyes. "Yeah I guess so."

"Any of them single?" Her mother smiled even more. "Athletes have amazing stamina you know," her mother raised her eyebrows and giggled.

Jessica's mouth opened in shock, her jaw ready to hit the floor. "Mum!" she scolded surprised.

Her mom stepped back and just shrugged. "What? Tell me I'm wrong."