• seventeen •

a/n
thanks in advance for 300 votes and almost 4000 reads guys!! it's really awesome!

-
Auston only had to knock once before the door was swung open to Jessica's apartment.

"Hey," Steve sadly smiled. The days events had been exceptionally shitty. "She's just sitting on her couch."

Auston pat Steve on the shoulder as he walked past and into the living room. He was in front of Jessica and eye level to her sitting on her couch.

"Are you okay?" Auston asked grabbing one of her hands in his.

She nodded. "I'll live, unlike so many others-" she stopped herself.

That's when Auston tuned into the television in the background. The local news station was broadcasting about the attack. It had made global news and a number one trend on Twitter.

Auston rubbed circles with his thumb into the top of the hand he was holding. His head fell into her lap. "I thought you- I thought you died," Auston stuttered out. His head didn't move from her lap, his head was angled towards the television.

Neither one said anything; instead Jessica's hand played with the ends of Auston's hair while he listened to her breath.

"Auston you have a game tonight," Jessica commented once she noticed the time.

He sighed. He knew he had a game, but he couldn't find the energy to get up. "I know," he mumbled.

Neither one even noticed when Steve left but one quick glance of her apartment left no trace of her coworker.

"Jess," Auston sighed. "I was a mess- just ask Willy and Mitch- I truly thought you were gone."

"I'm not though," Jessica whispered. "I was lucky, which is why you have to go play tonight. Give this city a team to believe in. Play for the city, play for the families and the people affected by this," Jessica turned his head to look up at her. "Play for me."

Auston felt a small smile because he knew Jessica was right. He leaned forward and kissed Jessica, putting everything he felt behind the one moment they were sharing. Every emotion he had felt when he thought she was dead, and every emotion experienced when he knew she was alive.

Jessica had to blink once to center herself after Auston's kiss. She smiled a little. "Aus, you gotta go or you'll be late."

He stood up straighter, "Watch tonight, because I'll be playing my best game of the season. For you."

Jessica nodded and stood up to lock the door behind him. She smiled up at him as he readied himself to leave.

He turned and wrapped her in a hug. Gentle since he didn't know where she was hurt or where a hug might cause her pain. "I'm so glad you're alive. I can't say it enough."

"Me too," she whispered into his jacket. She could smell his cologne mixed with his sweat from his earlier practice. Most importantly she heard his heart beat which made her calmer.

What made her less calm was when he left.

Her door was locked immediately after he left. Despite being inside she couldn't help but feel nervous and jumpy at every sound her old apartment made; from creaks in the floor when she walked to the sound of the fridge humming.