Chapter 3

I woke up as I groaned in sheer agony

I woke up as I groaned in sheer agony. My head pounded and a metallic flavour flooded my mouth. Yet, memories of the encounter with the beast clouded my mind until the pounding in my head got too much.

He had hurt me, and I was mad.

My eyes barely stayed open as a bright light blinded me. I attempted to cover my eyes but my hands could not fight a physical force. I lifted my head up against the cold wall and saw my two hands, which tingled, shackled against it. I tugged at it only to feel an increasing sting. I realised that the chains had either been coated with silver, or were made entirely from it.

As the minutes went by, it seemed that my brain had caught up with the nerves in my body. Now that I was more alert, I realised I was being a victim of agony. Waves upon waves of pain now attacked me as I felt my body burn. The sudden transition between a sting and a burn was too much to comprehend. The feeling was continuous, not stopping despite my protests. It travelled from my wrist, down my elbows and to the centre of my body. From there, it felt as if the pain travelled in all directions, like light being emitted in the middle of the room. I tried to contain my grunts and groans but every now and again, some sounds were expelled from me.

I realised I was in the dungeons, treated like a criminal. What had I done to deserve this?

I stared at my legs and my arms above my head, which had multiple thorns sticking out of them. Blood slowly trickled down my limbs. I whimpered quietly, as I yearned some sort of relief. I pulled against the shackles, now feeling slightly hotter, like a lit candle held close to my skin.

"It's not hard, just shift."  He spoke for the first time out loud.

"No." I was in so much pain I didn't feel his presence before.  My eyes were shut the whole time, but I could feel him get closer to me.

This stupid bastard thinks he can control us. My wolf was angry.

"This is your punishment for refusing me, so that you'll learn next time."

My eyes snapped open but I couldn't see him in the darkness. I could have sworn that he was right in front of me a moment again. "Do what-whatever you want...I won't l-learn." I made out stubbornly. 

"Fine, make this harder for yourself." His voice bellowed in the dark room. 

Sweat trickled down my forehead, only to be captured by my brows to prevent it disturbing my vision. Yet this did not matter. My eyes were now closed shut as I tried to get over the pain. I could feel my body temperature rising as my wolf howled over and over again. Whatever it was, it affected her more than me. Her howls were ear-splitting. And I begged for it to be over. It seemed the moon goddess, if she existed, had listened to my prayers because I began to fall into a deep sleep.

 It seemed the moon goddess, if she existed, had listened to my prayers because I began to fall into a deep sleep