Chapter 9

I almost ran to the library

I almost ran to the library. If I remember the date on the grave stone correctly, I can use to to find out more about Xavier. My mate was a lycan with a troubled past and secrets which I would never expect him to tell me. I slammed the library doors open and searched the shelves for books. Finally, I settled for the Werewolf Rulers of the Great North. It was beautifully bound with red leather decorated with gold vine pieces. At the top of the book, perfectly in the centre, a crescent moon was located. I trailed my fingers across the intricate detail and began to read.

Alexander Romanov was intellectual and well-skilled. However, he lacked the desire to look after his people. However, this did not alter how he successfully reigned over us.

I skimmed the next pages:

Alexander Romanov and his mate Natalia Romanov had two children. The first was Casper Romanov and the second was Xavier Romanov. The age difference  between the two was three years. However, Natalia died during childbirth and fortunately Xavier survived. Alexander Romanov's desire to help his people dwindled and his attitude slowly changed. There was no balance within him, not anymore. With his heart broken; his soul damaged  and his wolf gone insane, he was unfit to rule. He despised Xavier.

And then I skimmed some more pages until something caught my attention:

The coronation of Casper was close but all the people had witnessed his lack of skill let alone passion. He was not fit to be a king, especially after nearly causing a war between the witches and the werewolves. Xavier had to step in and take the lead. He prevented that war by demonstrating a desire for peace and showing excellent leadership skills. The King did not like Xavier, he did not treat him like a son. He saw him as a monster, unworthy of living. He saw him as a murderer who killed his mate.

In no time, the civilians began to appeal and act against Casper. Thus, Alexander began to order their arrest and execution  for treason. He met their peaceful protests with bloodshed and death.  A handful of lives were lost.

Prince Xavier acted with desire for justice and the need to help his people. He was on the side of his people, and they loved him. They respected him in a way which the King himself had not been shown. The King, full of arrogance and deceit, decided that a duel would be put in place between Casper and Xavier.  No doubt he expected Casper to win.

When the duel came, Prince Xavier showed strength and determination, but he could not kill his own brother out of compassion and love. And for that, he was respected by everyone. He kept ordering Casper to submit and forfeit because he did not want to take his brother's life. But the brother was sadistic and cruel. He knew it would cause his brother great pain, so he didn't. Xavier was forced to kill him. It didn't have to be a duel to the death, but it was. Very few people criticised Prince Xavier because they loved him but also following the old traditions, without a forfeit the opponent must be killed or the wolf of the person who could not take the life is lost forever, even in the afterlife. Casper would enter the afterlife with his wolf regardless of his death. That was the way the royal desmus duels worked.