Chapter 24

Once again I felt like I was in a trance-like state

Once again I felt like I was in a trance-like state. Only this time I was in my reality. Somehow, it would seem, their powers over me had grown to this dimension. I didn't know how but I felt myself lulled into complying to their instructions. 

"Take the dagger with you but hide it. Go to him; he's in the garden." The voices ushered me on. I bent down and took the dagger and looked at my reflection on it again. What was I doing? But I couldn't stop my actions. I tried to resist but it was ineffective. I had hid the dagger in my pocket. As I tried to resist, an increasing feeling of tranquility took over my body and I began to relax. 

As I walked along the corridors I prepared myself. I had a foreboding feeling that something bad was going to happen.  I wanted to be free, not controlled. I wanted there to be no more pain or anger or deaths. 

But thoughts filled my head, bad ones. If I did what they asked, I would be free. Xavier is the reason behind my violence, the monster who I am now. I wasn't like this before. "Kill him." My wolf proclaimed.

"Yes kill him. He's the cause of this misery. He's the reason why you are trapped here." The voices taunted me. The witches urged me on. I began moving faster, my bare feet felt patted against the wooden corridor floors. I reached the large door and pushed it open. Daylight seeped through into the castle. I ran down the marble steps and my feet fell hard against the rough and uneven cobalt stones. And there I saw him. Staring at the rest of the vast garden peacefully. If I had known better, it seemed like he knew what was going to happen and he was accepting it willingly. I scoffed at the idea of Xavier being a martyr. But it wouldn't have been the first time he tried to be one. My thoughts clouded over and I began to become irritated by how calm he seemed. Voices echoed in my head. Ideas planted themselves in my mind and they grew uncontrollably. I couldn't control myself. I couldn't control my thoughts. All I knew at that point, was that I wanted to kill my mate. I wanted to spill his blood. My nostrils flared and the morning sun scorched my body. 

I pulled the sheath off of the dagger. I stared at it and let my fingers glide across the detail for a moment before I ran towards him. I shouted: "Xavier" and then he rapidly turned around. Then I plunged the dagger into his heart. He tried to show no signs of emotion. He was stone - hard, a black pillar. But he started silently groaning as he fell onto his knees at my feet. Having all the power, seemed wrong.

I fell onto my knees too. Maybe because I didn't see myself as his superior. Maybe it was because I saw him as my equal. Or maybe because I felt bad.

I felt bad. "Xavier? Xavier? What have I done? H-how could I have done this? This isn't me!" I cried loudly as he fell onto my lap.  "Please forgive me. I'm so sorry. I never meant for this to happen." I muttered, cradling his head on my chest. His heart beat weakened, and I felt nauseous. "You can't die. I-I love you." I cried even harder. "Oh my God, I think I love you." I whimpered as I rocked him gently. I was the real monster. How could anyone kill their mate? I pushed back a few strands of his hair and saw that he now only had three small scars on his face.

"Don't... blame yourself. P-promise me." He said into the mind link. "I don't blame you. T-there's n-nothing for you to p-put the blame on yourself." I just sobbed harder. "P-promi-" His heart beat stopped and I was left: a sobbing murderer who was cold-blooded enough to kill her mate.

Pack members huddled around us. Beta Nikos held my collar as he interrogated me. "How did you kill Leo? Him and I are partially immortal. How did you beat him?" He asked. And when I didn't answer, he continued with his questions. "How did you kill Xavier? He can only be killed by a weapon of the daste witches. The weapon that's now in his chest. How could you? How? Why?" Nikos fell on his knees now.

"I-I'm so sorry." I wept. I tried to put my hand on his shoulder but he pushed it off. 

"Don't ever touch me! You're the real monster." He mourned.

Abruptly, green smoke filled the air all around us. It twisted and turned, darted from one place to another before revealing three beautiful woman.

"She is a hybrid: half werewolf and half daste." One said.

"You could have been one of us. You could have ruled with us. We'd gladly make space for you. But it isn't what you want and so you see, you are going to die very, very, very soon." Another said to be as my brows knit in confusion.

"You just killed your mate." One cackled. "You were specifically made to challenge Xavier. You could only survive when the bond  between you two had fully developed. Which it hasn't and it doesn't have time to since he's dead.

"You see," another continued, "the moon goddess can never take anyone's mate away. She's there to create them. Taking them away defeats her purpose. There would be no balance if she did. It would be unnatural and against all that werewolfs believe in. So she did something else. The moon goddess can never directly be involved with matters here on Earth. She knew that a sacrifice needed to be made and Xavier came to her, willing to sacrifice something for his people. She only has power when her people believe in her. They correlate. So when there's a war and people are dying, people gradually lose faith. So to put it simply, she helped your people win because it benefited her. How? She made Xavier into a lycan among doing other things. She's clever that one, I'll give her that. Because after a period of time when Xavier thought she had abdoned him and his people, she helped him. This made it seem like she was the saviour and the hero.  Clever tactic, I'll tell you. And what did this lead to? Well it strengthened your trust and faith in her and so her powers grew. This also meant more devotion and more determination war put into the war effort. She also hinted our whereabouts. That snake will get what she deserves soon."

"And she knew Xavier over here, was going to have a tough time and that he would be in need of a change. So that is why, he was suppose to earn your love and only then would you feel the whole bond. You would help him change. He would return to the man he was. She thought of it like a gift to him."  Another finished.

"But she's a monster too!" One laughed as she pointed at me. "So how does that work out?"

"Why are you here now that he has gone?" I asked quietly.

"We have come out of hiding now that it was safe. You see, we left our essence behind here. So we could be closer to Xavier and be more efficient at taking him down. We have an anchor on this side of the world. And now that it is safe, we are going to bring back our sists." They laughed together. "Now why don't you leave and enjoy the last piece of freedom you have."

"Run little girl before we kill you." They all whispered.

"She's going to die anyway." One jeered.

" One jeered