chapter two

Lauren's POV

[March 2003]

"Today isn't just any ordinary day, folks. Today, a queen has been born. And it's her fifteenth birthday." Camila covered her face from embarrassment as the boys and I walked up to her with a tray of cupcakes and balloons. "Happy birthday, Camz!" I grinned, kissing her on the cheek.

"Y-you really didn't have to do all of this," she cackled, red in the face.

"We know. Lauren made us do it," groaned Steve.

"Shut up, Steve. Of course I had to. You deserve nothing but the best," I got one cupcake out and handed it to her.

Giggling and taking it, "Thank you, Lo. I love it."

*Bell rings*

"Jauregui, you coming to Ricky's party tonight?" Jake asked as everyone dispersed to head to class.

"Nah, man. I gotta take Camila out. Well, right after her cheerleading try-out," I winked.

Camz had been practicing her routine all week and today was finally the day. She told me she wasn't just trying out to be "popular" like me but I knew she was. Not that I wanted her to or anything. I didn't care what "status" she was. She was my Camz and I loved her no matter what.

I loved her... so much. And I was planning on telling her just that during our date. Our first date. I know, risky, but we'd been friends since the first day of school and now that she was finally 15, it was time to make some moves.

"Mom, can I borrow some perfume? Mine ran out," I hesitantly asked my mother in her room.

"Yeah, no problem. Oooh, you look. Going out tonight?" she smirked at me in the mirror since I was wearing a nice shirt and pants.

"Yeah, it's Camila's birthday. I'm taking her out."

"What like on a date?" her eyes widened.

My heart began to pound with nervousness. "U-uhh, yeah. It's our first date."

"Ahh, so you really do like her, huh?" Even more than that.

"Oh, Mom," I rolled my eyes, chuckling. "Can I take your car, please?"

"Mmm," she looked at me unsure.

"Please? I wanna drive her in style for once. Not in my old ass truck," I sighed in a beg. I was always so embarrassed driving my crush around in that thing but at least it got me places.

"Okay, but be extra careful," she told sternly.

"Thanks!"

I loved driving my mom's car because it was a BMW. And I shouldn't have been driving it since it was her company car but she was a chill mom.

"Why do you keep looking at me like that?" my beautiful girl looked up from her salad strangely.

"What? I can't look at the most beautiful girl in the world?" I smiled widely.

"Laurennnn," she playfully groaned. "What is this?"

"What is what?" I stared at her defensiveness and curiosity of probably what the hell I was going for.

"Everything. You picking me up in your mom's fancy car-"

"I pick you up all the time, Camz," I waved off.

"Okay but taking me out to a pretty fancy dinner and paying-"

"Why would I ever let you pay for anything on your birthday?" I frowned.