chapter twenty

Camila's POV

"C'mon, Gracie," after hooking up the leash to my puppy's collar, we were on our way for our morning walk.

Now that I had way more time to myself, I rescued this precious 4-month-old toy frenchie that was the cutest thing ever. Lauren and Bella helped name her which was nice since it was also our daughter's middle name and Lauren's grandmother's name. The name "Grace" was just so special.

It sure as hell been a rollercoaster of an end to the year. Christmas was next week and I wasn't so sure if I should go home to see my mother and sister. My mother was and still is furious that I divorced Matthew. Sofi didn't really care since she was happy that I was working things out with Bella and Lauren. But my mother said to not even bother coming home. Oh, and couldn't forget about the DUI that Mama screamed at me for and how I was ruining my life. We never had an easy relationship.

Other than that, I've been taking my time to take care of myself and continue to build a relationship with my daughter. We liked going out to eat, the movies, Central park, and sight seeing in Manhattan when we could. Or maybe as simple as doing each other's hair and nails and talking about life. We just liked being together. The best was when she came over to help me put up my Christmas tree and decorate it and the rest of the house. Lauren even stayed over a little longer to help us too.

For the first time it was like the three of us acted like a real little family. Something that did wonders for our baby girl.

Ally got me a job at her bakery which I was so thankful for. It reminded me of when I used to work at a coffee shop in high school. The customers were always so friendly and were almost like family to Ally. Everyone loved her charm.

During this time off, I got so much time to learn about myself again. Since my arm and head were feeling much better, I remembered I liked not just walking my dog but jogging and hiking out in nature. I remembered I loved to cook and bake holiday treats that Bella also joined in on. I stayed up late watching Christmas movies, warm underneath the blanket and near the fire with hot cocoa in my hands. I got lost in dozens of books that I'd finish in just a matter of a few hours. Lauren was always surprised by how fast I could read. In fact, she and Lilly actually gave me a ton of books they wanted to get rid of. And when I say a ton, I meant a ton since they were literature freaks.

I just got to be me and do the things I loved without having a spouse. It was like I was back in college all over again, a free time full of self care. My only priorities were my daughter and I. Oh, and Gracie too. Matthew took our cat. But I never liked it that much anyway since it always scratched me.

One of the books that I finally got around to reading was none other than Lilly's. I actually received it a while ago but put it off for so long since I didn't think I'd have the heart to read about how much she was in love with my ex-wife. Not that I was jealous but it wasn't easy to hear nor read things like that.

However, when I finished it, I was a little concerned about how much of it was about her past with Zayn. I mean, of course it was about her life and her struggles that she'd dealt with over the years but I thought Lauren was going to take up a lot of it too and how she found happiness with her. But Lauren was only really in the last two chapters and wasn't included as much as I thought she'd be. It was mostly about her love for Zayn. A little strange but whatever. Maybe Lauren didn't show up soon enough for her to write that much about her before it was published? Maybe it was more about her past rather than future? Oh well. Just hoped Lauren wasn't upset about it.

***

Lauren's POV

Today was Camila and I's first family therapy session. It was also on the day before we'd fly back to Miami for Christmas. Bella was excited but her parents were nervous about what this therapist was going to say to us beforehand.