chapter eleven

Lauren's POV

[May 2006]

"Congratulations, my love!" I smiled widely at my beautiful girl walking toward me in a white cap and gown.

"Awww, white roses?!" she smelled the bouquet before kissing me sweetly.

"Of course, baby girl. I'm so proud of you." Camila was Salutatorian of her class which was bullshit seeing as how she was only .1 below Valedictorian but whatever. 

"Thank you for coming all this way for me. I love you," she said, holding my face in her hands dearly.

"You know I wouldn't miss it for the world, sweetheart."

I was stood off to the side, keeping my distance from her mother and sister for obvious reasons. I mean, I loved Sofi but Sinu pretty much hated me. I didn't sit near her at all during the ceremony. 

"Your dad couldn't make it?" I frowned, looking around for him.

"No," she sighed. "Another fight last night. He said he wanted to come today but is obviously scared of Mom."

"I don't blame him. That woman is scary as fuck," I chuckled.

"And I asked him if he's seeing another woman but he said no. I-I just don't know what to do-"

"Camila, whatever your parents are going through is out of your hands. I know you might think you can fix them but it's been going on for years and nothing's changed."

"I just hate accepting that. I can't give up on them. I love them too much," she said on the verge of tears. 

"Come here," I pulled her in for a long hug which is what she needed. I knew she loved her mom and dad and it sucked that they were falling out of love. Although I didn't remember my own parents divorce since I was so young, I understood what she was going through. "Hey, at least you can leave all this behind when you move in with me."

"True. I can't wait to start seeing you everyday again. Better now that we can share the same bed together," she grinned.

It took months of convincing but Camila's mom finally allowed for her to not only attend FSU but to live in my apartment. Even if that meant me having to stand up to her and tell her that Camila was an adult and could make her own decisions. And maybe if that meant that I too knew what was best for Camila. She was my girlfriend of three years after all.

"Me too-"

"Camila! Hurry, we need to pick your Abuela up," Sinu called for her.

"Just a minute!" she yelled back. "Sorry, babe."

"It's okay, go have fun with your family. I'll have you all to myself this summer and the rest of our lives," I gave her one last kiss.

She laughed into it, "I love you."

"Love you too. Oh wait, real quick before you go," I pulled out two tickets from my back pocket. "Almost forgot about these."

She took and read them. "...Disney?" she frowned. "Oh, Disney World tickets?!"

"Yeah, for two days next month," I smiled. "I remember you telling me you haven't been in years."

"Oh my god, baby!" she immediately pulled me into a bone crushing hug. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love you so much," she kissed me yet again but longer and more passionately this time.

"Camila!" Sinu shouted again.

"Hold on!" 

"Go on. I'll call you later," I let go of her waist. "I love you more."