Chapter Three: Make it or Break it

Song: Undefeated by Skillet

*

*

The mall was packed with people of all ages and walks of life.

"Should I buy this one," Jenny asks, pulling out a pair of sparkling white Valentino heals, "Or this one?" She pulls out a pair of sparkling black Valentino heals.

"Uhm-"

"Addy! Do you like this brown purse or black purse better? Which one matches with my skin tone?" Tina asks, shoving the two purses in my face.

"You two, calm yourselves, seriously. You're giving me a headache." Wanda complains as she dramatically brings her hand up to her forehead.

"Sorry." They both mutter before asking me once more.

I shrug. "I don't know, get the white heels and the brown purse - holy crap! That purse is three thousand dollars, Tina."

Tina raises an eyebrow. "So?"

"So," what do you mean by "so?" Three thousands dollars for a purse?

"That's a lot of money for a purse you're going to use for a month. Heck, it's a lot of money for a purse in the first place!" I exclaim.

"So, we're rich. Who cares?"

"You know what? Nevermind." I say, going back to picking some new shirts off the rack. Yes, we are rich. We are filthy rich, to be exact, and we can buy whatever we want whenever we want. But I prefer to spend my money on things that I will actually use.

Tina will use that purse for a month and then find a new one to buy. That three thousand dollar purse will end up sitting in a dark space in her closet, never to see the light of day again.

It's simply a waste of money.

But whatever floats her boat, I guess.

"What are you doing for your birthday, Addy?" Wanda asks, raising her eyebrows.

"My birthday? Pfft, I don't know. That's still a whole month away."

"Seriously? You don't know yet? You're turning twenty-one! That's a big deal!" Tina exclaims.

I roll my eyes. "And why is that?"

"Because you'll be twenty-one! You will be legally able to drink without worrying!" Jenny replies.

All my friends are a year to two years older than I am, and often times they have urged me to drink at parties. I disagreed, saying I was underage and I didn't want to get caught. But really, the truth was, I just didn't have a desire to drink.

I just didn't want to.

Now, I believe there's a right way to drink alcohol and a wrong way to drink alcohol. For example, drinking at home is not an issue, but to get intoxicated in public just seems....stupid.

I mean, I've seen the foolish things girls and guys alike have done at parties. If it really messes with people's heads that much, I don't know if I want to touch the substance. At parties, the whole point in drinking is to get drunk and loopy it seems.

But now my twenty-first birthday is approaching.

I am excited, I'm very excited. My birthdays are always filled with fun and good food.

But I'm just going to be pressured into drinking. Live a little, Addison. You're nearly twenty-one for Pete's sake! I tell myself.

"Yeah, I know. That'll be nice. I think I'll just have a party and invite you girls and all of my friends."