Chapter Fifty: Relapse

Song: Without You by Ashes Remain

A/N:  I didn't think this story would reach 50 chapters! Unfortunately, this story is coming to its end. Maybe a few more chapters or so....

*

*

I didn't know that today would be an exciting day where an opportunity of a lifetime would present itself. 

And it all started with a promise as I got ready to head out to work one Friday evening. I was in the bathroom, putting a little makeup on when Colton walked by the open door, raising an eyebrow in a questioning look. I suppose men don't understand the concept of makeup, but he didn't say anything as he watched me with interest for a moment.

He leans against the door frame, his arms crossed over his chest and his gaze flickered to the ground in front of him.

"You're coming to watch my performance tonight, right?" I ask hopefully, eyeing his reflection in the mirror to see his reaction. He had promised me that next time I go to work, he will come to watch me.

He brings his head up, looking at my reflection in the mirror and shrugs while a small smile graces his lips. "You have a performance tonight?" He asks.

I nod. "I have to be there by around 6:30 or so to rehearse and prepare myself, but you don't have to come till 8:00."

"I'll be there, then." He says.

"Promise?"

"I promise."

* * *

The rays of the sun kissed the sky, reminding me that it was now summer and time was flying by quickly. The warmth soaked my skin and I smiled as I walked to work that day. Colton would be seeing me perform for the first time in months and that thought alone sent tingles down my spine and set loose the butterflies in my stomach.

I still found myself to be nervous when I sang in front of people, I guess it's scary because it's a hard pill to swallow when you come to the truth that not everyone is going to like me and the way I sing.

Everyone has their own music tastes, their own style in which they prefer and while that is good and while that is what makes us unique, it also is intimidating to singers like me.

Sometimes, I wish I could just wave a magic wand and make everyone except me for who I am as well as my voice - but it isn't that easy.

I knew though, that I would stick to the thing I love even if the whole world abandons me.

Dagger waves at me, smiling like crazy with his girlfriend at his side. That's right, his girlfriend, they finally made things official and it's nice to see Dagger so happy. She greets me, too, shaking my hand. "My name is Melanie, it's nice to finally meet you."

"Thank you, you as well." I smile back, glancing at Dagger who looks pleased and proud. Admiration in his eyes.

"I've heard you're the town's favorite performer, is that true?" She asks.

I blush, feeling uncomfortable and flattered at the compliment. "Well, I don't know about that but-"

"Ah, yes she is. She's the most requested singer here and has gained quite a lot attention from the locals." Dagger says.

"Well, then I can't wait to hear you perform tonight. Break a leg out there." She says, her brilliant smile lighting up her face and some dark curls falling into her eyes. I can see why Dagger likes her so much, she's not only beautiful but kind.

"Thank you, it was nice meeting you." I tell her as I start to walk towards back stage to get prepared for tonight. I take a glass of water and sip it, the cool liquid helps calm my nerves as it flows through my system.