Chapter Twenty Eight: Doctor Addison

Song: Dare You to Move by Switchfoot

*

A/N: *I suggest if you don't remember what happened last time, to read chapter 27 again since it's been awhile since I've last published, thank you :)*

I t   i s   e a s i e r   t o   b u i l d   

s t r o n g   c h i l d r e n

T h a n   t o   r e p a i r   

a   b r o k e n   m a n

* * *

I was kicked off the park bench that night by law enforcement because they didn't want the homeless people to live in their beautiful parks meant for children and their doting parents.

I wasn't mad, I completely understood.

Parents want to raise their little ones in a safe environment away from the dangers of the world. And while I myself was no danger to children, other people are and they didn't want me attracting unwanted attention.

But now I have nowhere safe to sleep. I've been saving up quite the sum of money, almost enough to rent a cheap apartment, and I was beyond excited about that.

My days of sleeping on the streets were numbered, and that fact helped push me through the days and kept me positive.

For tonight, I'll just have to get used to the cold wall pressed against my back and the thin blankets wrapped around my body. I made a little nest of blankets and wrapped them around me.

Since winter was quickly approaching, the temperature was dropping into the low 40's at night and low 60's during the day. It wouldn't be long until those 40's turn into low teens, and I hoped by that time I would have an apartment.

Street lamps lit the town's streets and people faded away and hid away in their homes. Night fell and as night fell, I drifted off into a shallow sleep. Everything was quiet and the low hum of the distant high ways rumbled in the night.

This part of town I was unfamiliar with, and it wasn't as clean and decorated as other parts. It seemed more emaciated and was lacking in several areas.

Perhaps that's why I heard a gunshot that night.

Perhaps that's why I heard two gunshots that night.

The loud sound had awoken me from my hazy slumber. At first, I just thought it was just a dream I was having, but when I saw a man running down the barren streets, I knew it wasn't a dream, much to my despair.

It was much too dark to make out any features of the man, but from what I could tell I knew he was injured. His legs shook and he stumbled several times before he crashed onto the ground. He was laying on his back, breathing heavily and holding his chest.

Panic took a hold of me. What was I suppose to do? I didn't have a phone to call the emergency number, and surely, this man was dangerous if he's running around, shooting guns in the street, so it wouldn't be the best idea to go up to him.

I was frozen in my pile of blankets.

I don't want to see a life die right in front of me. I don't know if I could live with myself if I saw a man take his last breath before my eyes without at least trying to do something.