Chapter Twenty Six: The Encounter

Song: What Love Really Means by JJ Heller ^*Song Addison sings in this chapter*^

*

*

If I wasn't sick to my stomach before, I definitely was now.

My savior's eyes was looking right into my own. It was him. He had followed me to the new town. and now he was here. Colton.

A cold shudder crept up my spine. He looked...depressed, worn out, and careless. It's like he no longer cared that he felt that way, no longer cared for himself.

I quickly focus my attention back to the song I was to be singing. I put on a smile for the crowd, of course, and I introduce the song I would be singing.

"Hello, folks. It's been awhile since I've been up here on a stage, s-so bear with me as I find my voice a-again," I say, chuckling nervously, "Tonight, I will be singing a song that's dedicated to everyone who just wants to go home. To everyone who who wants to be valued. To everyone who just wants to be loved." I say, smiling shyly.

I clear my throat, and take a deep breath before singing the lyrics to the song I had no idea shadowed the life of the man with stone cold eyes.

He cries in the corner where nobody sees

He's the kid with a story no one would believe

He prays every night "Dear God won't you please, could you send someone here who will love me?"

Who will love me for me

Not for what I have done or what I will become

Who will love me for me

'Cause nobody has shown me what love

What love really means

I glanced at Colton, who still leans against the wall. He blows a puff from his cigarette, looking at me with a cold look. His eyes are stricken with coldness and.....does he look sad? His expression was hard to read, and I am convinced he was trying to keep his emotions hidden.

I cut my gaze from his and continued the song. My voice wasn't perfect but it wasn't bad, either. I was content with the way it sounded and the audience was, too.

The song hit close to home for me, too. I had seen so much suffering for the passed few years. Love didn't exist in my darkest times, and every innocent being I came across just wanted a place to call home.

They just wanted love.

And I was no different from them.

I had uttered pleas to God, I had begged for love, begged to find a place to call home once again. My knees had hit the cold floorboards of the pimp house where I too many times cried for myself and others.

We all just wanted to be loved.

We all just wanted to be free.

As I sung, the more passionate and emotional I became. I almost lost it on the stage, I almost stopped and let myself cry.

But I refused.

I kept singing, and my eyes found Colton's once more.

He's waiting to die as he sits all alone

He's a man in a cell who regrets what he's done

He utters a cry from the depths of his soul, "Oh Lord, forgive me, I want to go home"