Chapter 20

Two boys walked up the grand stairs and past the ceremonial halls to the Western Towers. Here housed the apartments of the greatest Lords and Ladies of Dycathion. The royal family was just a stone's throw away from here.

"So what do you know about Lord Killian." Cybelline asked as she walked beside the much taller Patrick. The tray she carried would have been heavy for a normal page of her size but she handled it easily.

He raised his eyebrows, "Where did you live, under a rock?"

Cybelline looked offended as they rounded the corner, "It was a great rock." 

She balanced the tray carefully as they stepped on the the sprawling spiral staircase, "I take it that Lord Killian is pretty famous?" 

"Is the sky blue?" Patrick retorted, his eyes bright "He's a legend. Was practically raised on a battlefield."

Cybelline lowered her eyes, "Do you know him personally?"

"Ermm..." Patrick said lightly. Cybelline looked at him, but chose not to say anything. 

They entered the largest apartment in the wing, the large, iron wrought doors opened to a large and spacious space. A few soldiers stood in attendance, they glared at them but let them through. Cybelline frowned, this was not the normal expression of watchful disdain that pages were usually faced with. She looked at Patrick, who coughed and led the way.

Inside the sunny room, white marble and granite carved with vines encircled the large space that seemed to hold half an army. The moment they appeared, silence fell in the silent room. They stared, eyes wide at the two. 

Cybelline stood beside Patrick, her eyes narrowing slightly. Some of the men were reaching for their weapons.

Cybelline glanced at Patrick, who was now studying the plain ceiling as if it was encased in gold and diamonds.

A few young knights looked up, and upon seeing Patrick, glared in disbelief.

Unlike the lily white skin Cybelline had seen on the noble youths in the palace, these men, young and old looked battle hardened. Their armor had the dull sheen of metal that had been forged in conflict. 

One of them, the youngest, stood up. Tall and imposing, the six foot youth with the the golden curls looked down...well, down only at the short Cybelline but then quickly met the eyes of the youth besides her.

"Lionsbane, I've been waiting to get my hands on you." His voice rang in the hall, a smile played on his lips.

Patrick grinned as well, "Did you miss me, Timorin? I always knew you were the sentimental kind." The young knight's hand twitched to his sword.

"Jacen, don't. He's as sly as his father." Another knight dragged the angry knight down. Patrick nodded to the other knight, "Lord Harris, long time no see." This other knight had bright red hair and dark blue eyes, there was an air of seriousness that his friend Jacen of Timorin lacked. Harris nodded, "Lord Patrick of Lionsbane."You've got nerve to show up here."

Patrick shrugged, "Your general needs his court clothes." He held up a parcel, "Unless you want him to show up to the ball naked? Bet the ladies would love that."

Jacen shot up again at Patrick, "You dare---" The faces on the rest of the knights were just as ugly. Their general was well loved by the court and the entire country. His fame and honor was inscrutable and untouchable. They all revered him as their leader, but it seemed like the more the world loved their general, the more Lionsbane seemed to go against him. The young lionsbane was as bad as their father.

"You need to be taught a lesson, Lionsbane." Jacen cracked his knuckles, "And I thought I was going to be bored, coming back to the palace."

Patrick shrugged, "You're not that bright, Jacen. I'm sure it takes very little to amuse you and your friends"  The rest of the young knights stood up, they all looked like they were trying to calculate how many punches they could get away with landing on a young noble.