Chapter 22

The night of the banquet was hot, the hazy smell of roses and pinewood drifted through the air, shepherded by the servants who held serving trays of delicacies from all over the kingdom. Every once in a while, the heralds cried this duke or that marquis. 

At first Cybelline copied the other young pages' look of awe at the splendor, but after a while, it  became a blur of excess.

Dresses that bloomed like roses swept across the silver floor, the faces of youthful women reflected on them, capturing the momentary joy of youth. 

Magic, the most valuable currency in the kingdom, was used to enhance their beauty. Cybelline saw flowers that would go from bud to bloom in one ladies' hair while another had three butterflies encrusted in emerald fly around her as if she was a flower herself.

Lamps beaten into the shape of gold roses fixed with rubies lined the tall glass windows, thrown open to reveal a moonlit lake and garden where minstrels played and nobles relaxed. Paper lanterns lined the path, floated in water, and hung by magic in the air, making it look as if the stars came to came to earth to dance.

Inside, courtiers swept across the three grand rooms, to succor their king and queen, dressed in resplendent gold and red. The two princes stood at attention by their sides, their gold and silver circlets glinting with protective magic. 

Every once in a while, the man on the gold throne would raise his goblet and toast Lord Killian. No one else would receive that honor tonight.

Cybelline was grateful that Lord Killian was tall from his age. When they had entered, the entire congregation had gone silent. Marriageable women had gone bright right, as did many not so eligible mothers. Indeed, this man surpassed every other in looks and no other had that commanding presence, not even the king. He drew respectful stares as he walked, a warrior god among common men.

The king had looked up, and upon seeing his most trusted general, got off his throne and personally walked him into the throne room. Indeed, everyone's eyes had been glued to Lord Killian, none noticed the slight page who followed a few steps behind. Cybelline wore the uniform of every other page in the palace and seemed to blend in.

"My Lord Killian, we welcome you home!" The king, whose face was already slightly pink held up a cup. In that moment, all the courtiers held theirs up and toasted the him. Killian seemed unfazed by the spectacle, he raised his cup slightly, nodded, and sipped. The most seasoned courtiers looked un-surprised by the coolness of their general. He was notoriously hard to talk to or please.

The king smiled wryly, "My boy, these courtiers have been waiting for you to return. Especially the ones with daughters. I can introduce you to a few."

"My king," Killian said with a slight hint of exasperation, "I have no intention of letting those vultures anywhere near me."

The king looked at him meaningfully, "You need to let me help you right now. You are the most eligible bachelor in all the land and this is your last chance to have my protection before she.."

Killian changed the subject, "I plan to leave the day after tomorrow."

"So soon?" The king frowned, "You just won, why go back to Alinor?"

"Don't you know, my sweet?" The Queen left her dais, she walked up to the two men and Cybelline, putting her hand on her husband's sleeve, her red nails glinting in the firelight, "Whenever someone mentions the word marriage, our brave general runs away with his tail between his legs." 

Cybelline took a small step back, she could feel the stares of the courtiers as they pretended not to listen in to the conversation between the most powerful forces in the kingdom.

"Queen Peya. Always good to see you, and how is your niece Ida, I saw that she was on the dance floor tonight." Killian asked pleasantly. 

The queen's smile seemed to tighten, " She's heartbroken, you wretched boy." Then, to Cybelline's surprise, the queen smiled, a darkly victorious smile, "But, she won't be for long." 

 The king, sensing imminent danger, patted his wife's hand and said quickly, "Come my dear, the Ambassador of Novoria says he has a special surprise for us."

Killian turned around, snapped his fingers to indicate Cybelline to follow. You're playing a part, Cybelline reminded herself as she tamped down the urge to snap off his fingers. They walked outside, and Cybelline picked up a pitcher of wine from one of the servants who bowed to them.

"So, where are the assassins, my lord." She asked lightly as she poured wine into his cup, he sipped "What? Oh." He looked grinned, "They're coming." He picked up the pace a little, "Get ready, it will happen soon."

Cybelline frowned, what did that mean? Never the less, she followed him into a grove of trees. Speechless she watched him climb it and motioned her to do the same. From here she saw the grand ballroom in its entirety.

A little while later, the king and queen sat back to their seats, the atmosphere in the air changed. Cybelline stole a peek at the queen from afar. She may be in her early forties, but age had done very little to ruin her beauty. The queen stood, the music stopped and the rooms went quiet. Everyone's eyes were on their queen.

Queen Peya smiled, "Ladies and Lords, tonight, let us play a little game."