Chapter 56

Killian resisted the urge to take his sword and cut down the smiling youth in front of him. Lord Jacen and Lord Evan stared at their lord, their jaws forgotten on the floor.

Cybelline looked around and quietly grabbed a serving boy, "Do you have ale and snacks?"

He blinked and then handed her a bag of candied walnuts and a mug of ale. Cybelline found a comfortable position and watched the drama unfold. Popping a few sweets every so often.

"Lord Killian, even you know that there is etiquette to be followed in other people's cities." Philip said, his arms crossed as he smiled at the young general.

"Prince Philip, I'm not one for rules. Since I'm usually the one making them, after I've conquered those cities you mentioned."

Philip raised an eyebrow, "Is this how you behave when the you're invited to a city? Threaten to cut down your host? I expected nothing better."

"You will deserve nothing better if you stand in my way." Killian said cooly, "And you didn't invite me."

Jacen whispered to Lord Evan, "Do you know any of these people?"

Lord Evan shook his head, "I haven't seen our lord speak of these people. This is unprecedented."

"I never thought I would see him in a gambling house either. And yet here we are." Jacen said as he looked around at crowd. Everyone, from the poorest gambler to the richest, the barmaids, the serving boys, all gazed at the three on the floor.

Lord Evan shrugged, "Maybe Killian is...thinking of taking the city after all?" He looked around, "Perhaps he's doing...research?"

Philip and Killian noticed at the same them, they looked around.

"My lords." A young trembling servant bowed to them, he looked as if he was going to faint. Philip gave him a pat on the head and a coin, "Where is the boy I brought?"

"He has a message for you, my lord." The boy said, reassured by Philip's kindness.

The servant boy pointed upwards, "He said that he wanted to inspect the gambling house. And since you two were busy...flirting, he was going to go get the deed for the gambling house from the keeper."

A rumble of laughter started but was strangled into silence by Killian's icy glare. Philip slipped up the stairs and ordered, "Throw them out."

A few men bowed and started for Lord Killian. They were so scared that they could barely grab their weapons, but a prince's orders were a prince's orders.

Meanwhile Cybelline perched on a chair and watched a very harassed looking woman who was writing on some papers in front of her.

"His lord has gone too far this time, losing a gambling house to a mere boy. Have some cakes, dear." The lady was in her early forties, with a kind smile and a sweet face. She sighed as she continued to write, "Is he still downstairs?" Cybelline grinned and took a cake.

Philip poked his head in, "I'm here."

A book flew at his head and he ducked lazily, grabbing it mid-air.

"Alma, you're getting slow."

A dagger followed. Philip dove out of the way as it stuck the wood behind him with a twang.

"You were saying?" The kindly smile was still on her face but there were three more daggers in her hands. Philip laughed drily, and sat down besides Cybelline, "This is the new owner of the Gamblin' house. Name's Cy."

Alma glared at Philip, "You're only doing this because you don't want to deal with Allister. This is not the way you contend with a challenger to your throne."