Chapter 23

"There is an ancient tradition in our kingdom, and we want to use it to find a wife for our second son." She said as she gestured to the tall young man beside her in silver crown. The queen looked at the large crowds of young women, all here to find a husband tonight. She grinned, all unmarried women in the kingdom had received an invitation. There were quite a few foreign delegations too.

She continued, "As our ancient tradition holds, if an unmarried man ages sixteen and above, holds the handkerchief of the lady who had given it to him by the stroke of mid-night, then she is his intended."

She looked around at the young women who had suddenly transformed into wolves, the green gleam in their eyes so bright they could've lit up the entire room, her voice rang out, "Regardless of your age, looks, wealth, status. If you catch him, he is yours."

The queen smiled, "Ladies, you are of course able to use any means necessary to bind yourself to him, as long as he holds your handkerchief by midnight." She looked at them, with a small smile, "Of course, my second son is not the only man who needs a wife. For example, our newly returned Lord Killian, the finest of men and one of the richest in the land is also here."

The hair on Cybelline's arm stood on end. This was a bad sign. She always trusted her sixth sense, whatever was coming was bad.

The queen continued, "Remember, by the stroke of midnight. Use your beauty, magic, or force and find your true love."

The last few words rang in Cybelline's ears as she saw in slow motion what happened next. The world seemed to shift. A small, small portion rushed for the second prince, who greeted them with a smile and sprinted out of the room to sounds of laughter.

But the rest...Five hundred or so ladies and the serving maidens in infinite numbers, they were look for someone else. All the women in the kingdom would be looking for the most marriageable bachelor in all of the land.

She looked up at the man who sat next to her. No, this couldn't possibly be what he meant.

"You ten to fifteen." She accused, " This is a thousand to fifteen hundred."

"I may have underestimated a little." Killian said as he watched the activity below.

"They aren't trying to kill you, I don't want to do this." Cybelline said, her head beginning to hurt. She would never be able to go off on her own if all she could do tonight was protect this ass.

"Have you seen the look in their eyes?" Killian retorted, "They would stuff their handkerchief into my cold dead hands if they can't get me alive."

He was right, tonight he was like a delectable piece of candy that everyone wanted. He could not kill them as they were not his enemies per se. He could only run. 

Cybelline scooted away from him, "I change my mind, you're on your own."

He threatened, "I can still kill you."

Cybelline rolled her eyes, "If you can live through tonight." 

Cybelline thought for a moment, and she suddenly grinned, "What would happen if I was to yell out your name right now?"

His eyes narrowed, "You wouldn't."

"They're out for blood, it would be very easy to let them know where you are."

Cybelline grinned evilly, "Your men are probably busy running away and hiding, or finding a wife in the fray." 

She pointed to the woman on the throne, "And there's no escape for you, I'm sure the queen has sealed off all the exits. You probably don't come to the palace often enough to know where to hide."

She looked him thoughtfully, "I wonder how long you would last out there, without me to help, my lord." 

They stared at one another. Killian looked the page up and down, "Tell me, young one, are you threatening me right now?" 

"No, I wouldn't dare." Cybelline said quietly, "It would be such a pity to have such a celebrated general hog tied by his future wife for all the kingdom to witness tomorrow." 

"I can see you smiling." Lord Killian said through clenched teeth. Cybelline tried to look less happy, and failed, "Well my lord, if you can be of value to me, I might be able to help you." 

After a long moment of silent, pensive staring, Killian cleared his throat, "If you can protect my virtue tonight, I will give you anything you want."

"Deal!" She grinned, "No questions asked?" 

She stuck out her hand, he grinned and shook it.

"My lord Killian?" A high pitched, breathless voice called out. A woman, her eyes glowing gold, stared out at the spot where they were hiding. Killian cursed and jumped down from the tree, pulling Cybelline with him.

He broke out in a full sprint. She ran to keep up, there was a cry behind them and the sound of a hundred dresses tearing down the stone steps thundered behind him. 

Cybelline turned and saw that a few had taken to jumping the hedges to give themselves a advantage over the others. Lady mages had fireballs in which they were throwing liberally at others who brought up water shields. Quickly the once beautiful garden had become a battlefield. Shreds of lanterns floated in the air, which was now joined by cries of pain and the occasional jewel hitting someone in the face.  

 Dressed ripped as women tripped one another, three mages had form a large, magical bubble and was using it to run over their opponents.   

Cybelline grabbed Killian by the sleeve, "RUN" She bellowed and took off with him into the night.