Chapter 55

"So where are you taking me?" Cybelline looked at the youth whose arm slung casually around her shoulders.

They walked down the central market street, known as the street of Dancing Hares. No one dared to rob them, as the Prince of Thieves not someone they wanted as an enemy. Rather, many gave a brief bow before going about their business. 

"A fun place." He grinned at her, "So, will you tell me why Ithos lied to me about you being a boy?"

Cy gracefully stepped out of his grasp, "Ithos isn't very good at lying." 

Phillip shrugged, "He's got a few tells, and I'm good at spotting lies. I'll be honest, if not for Ithos I wouldn't have known in a million years who you were." He smiled sweetly at her, "But I don't care if you a girl, a boy, or a talking horse. As long as we can have fun."

Cybelline rolled her eyes. They arrived at the largest tavern and gambling house. A woman stepped outside, "My prince." She guffawed and waved them in, clapping Phillip on the back. Phillip blew the woman a kiss and went inside. 

"I opened this tavern a few years ago, out of boredom." Philip said as they walked in. To say it was a tavern would be slightly inaccurate. This was a massive house where people ate, gambled, and gossipped. It reminded Cybelline slightly of a modern day casino, the sting of smoke a familiar sting as she looked around. 

The tavern was divided into three levels. On the first level were the normal games of cards and dice.

The second and third was for those who were much richer, here the game of chance and luck played a greater role. Phillip pointed upstairs, "We have a few games that involve magic, but that's upstairs. Ithos would kill me if I took you there." 

Phillip beckoned Cybelline to a table, "Play a few hands of dice with me?"

Cybelline smiled, "What are the wagers?" 

Phillip pointed to her bag of gold and then his lips, "If you win, I'll keep your secret, if you lose, you'll have to go with me to the festival as my date and I get your coin." He was a shameless flirt.

"The prince of thieves is a bit stingy" Cybelline smiled, "If I win, then I want the earnings of this tavern for the day." That was more than six hundred gold pieces, a farmer earned about twenty a year. 

The dealer had walked up to the table and just heard the youth's request. His mouth fell open, he had never heard anyone ask so much from the Prince of Thieves without being stabbed through the stomach.

Phillip laughed, " Agreed. But, little one, I've been playing since I was born. Don't worry, I'll go easy on you." He didn't believe it for a second lass could beat him. He grinned at her, "I'll make sure to pick out a pretty gown."

"I change my mind." Cybelline said, "If I win, I want a years worth of earnings from this tavern."

Phillip held out his hand, "Very well." Cybelline shook it solemnly.

Cybelline sat down, "How do I play?"

The dealer and Phillip's mouth dropped open. What happened to the arrogant youth who demanded the gambling house? He was going to try to win against the prince without knowing how to play?!

"Er..." Phillip said, he suddenly had guilty feeling that he was a bully. It was rare he ever felt this way, but facing those large green eyes, he found himself saying "You know what..."

Cybelline gave him a bright smile, "Don't worry I'll go easy on you." Phillip shut up. 

He handed her three dice and took three himself. "We'll play a simple game then."