Chapter 59

Lord Alistair watched as the wolves he called pets charged at him. Above the bird he had kept in captivity all these years now seemed intent on eating him.

He threw up a barrier of earth, the wolves howled in pain. Cybelline sat on the bird's head calmly, occasionally patting the bird to let it know to let out a flame spout or two on the lord. Below the battle raged, the wolves broke through the barriers twice.

He glared up at the youth sitting calmly above, "What are you waiting for? If you're going to kill me, be quick about it!"

Cybelline was distracted from her daydream, "What? Oh? I was waiting for you to get to perfect roasting temperature. I don't want to my bird to eat raw meat."

Alistair's barrier wavered as he felt his blood pressure rise. Cybelline patted the bird's head, "Take me down."

They flew to the ground. The wolves, seeing the large black bird, all scuttled away from the man.

Alastair was no longer the well dressed, haughty owner of a gambling house. His clothes were disheveled, his face had a few scratches, and there were several tears on his robes. He was breathing heavily from the exertion.

"What do you want?"

Cybelline smiled, "The satisfaction of watching you struggle."

"You bastard."

"Thank you." Cybelline smiled sweetly, "Now, onto the terms."

She turned serious, "For starters, you're going to give me everything you own. This gambling house, the dwarves, this...chicken" She patted the giant vulture on the head.

Alastair looked at her incredulously, "What?" He thought this little brat would demand money, or from him not to compete for Philip's throne. But this.

"Impossible." Alastair spat out.

"Eat him." Cybelline said to the giant bird.

"Maybe there's room to negotiate." Alastair said quickly. Cybelline smiled but shook her head, "It's either become dinner or give me everything you own."

"This is robbery!" Alastair spluttered, "I am a noble of high importance! No one would agree to this, I'll bring it up to my queen if I have to!" His lips curved into a cruel smile of self importance, "I am one of her favorites. I'll make sure she take your head for this."

"This is robbery." Cybelline admitted, "A bet is a bet, and you've lost. Don't be such a ninny."

Suddenly, a peal of laughter like bells rang out, and a young woman floated down, her emine cloak encircling her, as she landed gently on the earth. Hair the color of ripened wheat woven into an intricate and delicate crown set on a heart shaped face, looked at the two with a half quizzical smile.

Alastair blinked and almost laughed with joy, "My Queen Estelle! Help me! I beg for your mercy."

Estelle looked at Alastair, "My noble lord, surely you are mistaken. I am not here to clean up the mess you made." She smiled at Cybelline, "Hello. I am the Queen of the Spies. Estelle."

Hearing this, people on the platform began to bend the kneel and bow to their young queen. The only people left standing was the young general whom no one dared to correct. And Cybelline.

Alastair would not have lasted so long with the support from the Queen of the spies. Now, he was sure she was in his court, "My queen, this brat." He spat, "Has threatened my life."

Estelle waved a hand, "I think this young man has been far, far too reasonable."

"I—Hah?" Alastair's voice seemed to be caught midway, he looked as if a toad had crawled into this mouth. She smiled warmly at Cybelline, "Lord Alastair is...was one of my favorites, but I think I have found a new friend." Cybelline felt the hair on the back of her neck raise slightly.