Chapter 32

Present day - The Mage's Tower - Dycathion

Cybelline rushed into the tower at the top, past the two great bells that housed Lord Killian and Kieran.

She headed straight for the burnt and cracked throne that was still magnificent in destruction. Her fingers searched underneath the chair. The feeling, that strange feel she got when she got near those books, she closed her eyes and searched for it.

There. She felt a small catch on the bottom of the ancient, gnarled seat and gently eased open.

He's waking up. The voice of a thousand whispers said.

Cybelline looked up. On Killian's bell was a flash of green, a crack began to appear on the metal. Cybelline concentrated on opening up the compartment underneath the broken throne. Gently, she eased out a small, leather bound book.

"Found it!" She raised it up, a thin, pamphlet was clutched in her hands.

The shadow seemed to stare at the little book in her hand and sudden it gave a howl of laughter that was more heartwrenching than a wail. 

They...They dare put that in her throne. In her throne. She was the symbol of wisdom and kindness and yet they took it and corrupted that. How dare they? How dare they?  

The pain was unmistakable in the shadow's voice as it laughed and cried at the same time.

We were the greatest nation of all creation, our Queen ruled the earth like the sun and gave us warmth and magic. She was our heart and they wrenched her away from us. They took her people and enslaved us. They took her throne and burned it. Look at us now, shadows and ghosts. Slaves and animals. 

The rage, the helpless rage lasted for but a minute. It was as if the little shadow had been finally broken, after all these years. There was nothing left, only a wish for it all to be over. 

 A small pouch appeared in Cybelline's hands. Your reward, little one.

The were another cracking sound, Cybelline looked behind her, another long crack was developing on Killian's bell. 

Burn the books, release me from this hell. The voice whispered, Let me die.

Cybelline was almost at the door and then she sighed. Perhaps it was the hopelessness in its voice, perhaps it was the image of the starving shadow huddled in the corner.

She turned back to the corner, "Do you want to leave here? I could try and help."

The little shadow paused. In the last few thousands of years, no one had ever asked that question.

I am a spirit who is bound to this tower, no magic you can do will be able to release me. The little shadow sighed, I have been trapped here for thousands of years, ever since the realms of the Fae and Folk fell. I thought that I found a place where I could rest and heal, but I was a fool.

The voice grew colder, Those book are magical hooks in my flesh. Everyday, they tear into my soul and hold me here like a piece of meat on a hook.  Then your mages feed on my power. They hid the books well and in this form I can not harm them. 

You are all the same, if I go with you, it's only because you want my power.

Cybelline looked at the book in her hands and thought about the books in her pouch, "If I burn these, wouldn't you be free?"

The shadow chuckled mirthlessly, Human magic is vicious. The moment those books are destroyed, the magic in this tower would rip me apart.It's voice became even colder. And it is a fate I'd gladly suffer rather than go with you.