Chapter 72

Outside of the great cave, Alistair muttered angrily and kicked rock. A servant came up to him nervously, "My lord, what if they attack her in there. It's been a while since there was any sound."

"Those dwarves? Please, they have magical collars that prevents them from even raising their voice to us." Alistair retorted. He gestured to his own angrily, "If I could take off this dratted thing I would slit her throat myself."

The collar around his throat tightened and he fell to the earth gasping for breath. The servant paled and backed away. Alistair cursed again and waited for Cybelline.

The Land Inside the Ring

Cybelline stretched her limbs and took a deep breath in the nice, sunny world that was inside her ring. It was coming along nicely, the fog had retreated beyond the horizon. She knew it was still there, in her mind's eyes she could see that it lay there, waiting for her to uncover the rest of the realm. It was a strange feeling, knowing something without seeing it was there.

Gently, she wiped her forehead and shook off the exhaustion. She hadn't felt this tired since she'd stolen a tower. 

"Did Ithos make some of the honey cherry bread? I wonder if he left some in the house." Cybelline spoke to herself as she took a step towards the house. Maybe there was some meat too. She walked a little faster, her stomach was growling.

"Lady!"

Cybelline paused mid-step. She turned around and saw the crowd of dwarves looking at her, there were expressions of awe, confusion, disbelief, and even a few of fear.

Cybelline smiled sheepishly, "Sorry, when I get hungry I get a little one-track minded. Do you guys want some food too?"

Oqir opened his mouth, he wanted to say that wasn't really the most important things right now. But he wasn't quite sure where to begin.

Cybelline mistook his silence for acquiescence, "Hang on, I'll be right back." 

A wave of wind rippled through the air, and suddenly the dwarves felt a burst of warmth and fragrance waft towards them.  On the hill not far from here the giant red flowers began to bloom.

A man with black hair and bright red eyes flapped his orange-red wings and flew toward the dwarves.

"What in the great gods..." Oqir's voice was constricted with emotion.

Cybelline paused from her road to the house and she waved to the fire fae who was flying towards the dwarves, "Good timing, can you help me keep them company? I'll go see if there's any snacks in the house."

"Arlain? Is that you?" Oqir looked at the tall fae that stood in front of him.

Kima looked at the fae and asked Oqir, "What kind of fae is he?"

"Fire Fae, they were said to be born from the flame flowers of volcanos. In a way, they are our brethren." Oqir explained, "We were said to be born from the veins of the volcano gods."

Kima nodded as the fae approached. His wings were nearly translucent in the sunlight, save the red markings on the edges.

Arlain smiled and bowed to Oqir who returned the greeting, "It seems that by the grace of the gods we meet again."

"What is this place? How are you here? I thought you and your people were dead." Oqir's voice shook with emotion.

Arlain's face paled a little, "It's a long story, we were betrayed by the ones whom we thought would keep us safe."

Oqir's smile was bitter, "Us too."

Arlain sighed, "I thought your people could have escaped, have gone with the hidden fae. It had been too late for us."