Chapter 89

Leonmithas ran towards them, watching a Cybelline started to slowly disappear.

"No!" That voice was echoed by the sentiment of the fae and human as they watched the light that once was Cybelline fading slowly towards the sky. In a moment, their hope had left them. What were they supposed to do now?

The fae felt unspeakable horror as they watched Cybelline disappear.

Ithos and Myrai sat there for the longest time, holding each others hands. Myrai looked at the glowing sparkles of Cybelline's soul, her eyes wide in disbelief. Suddenly she took a handful of dust and scattered into the sky. It fell back to earth.

"I don't believe it." Myrai said her voice shaking, "She can't possibly be going there. That's impossible."

"Where, my love?" Ithos asked, a little perplexed.

"The..." Myrai paused and then she turned to her husband, "I can still save her, her fate is still undecided."

Ithos smiled, "Then we'll do it."

They sat looking at each other, knowing what this decision meant.

Myrai looked at their entwined fingers, "This is the pair of hands that I wish to hold forever. From the time I had first know what love meant, these hands were here."

Ithos's hands tightened around hers, "We have lived a good life. A life that I never thought I deserved." He knew what she was going to do next. Taking her hands in his, he kissed her palm gently, just like the first time. He sighed, "I am a little worried about the children, especially Miri."

Myrai smiled, "Our children are strong. They are meant for great things."

"Greatness doesn't mean happiness." Ithos said softly, "I wish her only happiness."

Myrai sighed, "Yes. Me too. But if don't make a stand now, I don't believe we could live with ourselves."

Ithos nodded, "Then this must be our path."

He raised his eyes to hers, as Myrai smiled, "Love. This will be dangerous, you can leave me and be safe."

Ithos moved to his wife, "As long as we are together, I am afraid of nothing." 

He stood and pulled her up with a bright smile, "My purpose in this life was to find you. To walk with you. To support you. To love you. This was my promise to you and that will never change."

Myrai smiled and in that moment the glamour she wore fell off. Her hair turned to gold and her face was devoid of all wrinkles, her shoulders straightened as a cloak of emerald green draped across her shoulders.

Leonmithas gasped as he looked upon the druid priestess, a high fae whose bloodline were entwined in their legends and myths.

"But how?" He asked, "Only three had existed. I heard they had all died in the wars."

"What are they?" The dwarf leader asked the fire fae next to her. The Fire fae swallowed and said in awe, "They are the keepers of knowledge and the messenger of the gods. We have only had three in existence."

Myrai turned to him, "Yes. The other two are dead. One looked into the future and saved the life of dark fae child, to save the last of her kind from an endless war. One spent her life in another world to protect that child at the behest of the dark fae king. I am all that remained." She sighed, "I must beg the fae for their forgiveness, I was young and in love. I chose to give up most of my powers to save the one I loved, just as he gave up the powers of kingship for me. And so I hid my status as a druid and became an ordinary fae, and then an ordinary human woman."